How many points?

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

How many points?

Postby lidbid46 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Gary, or anyone else who is able to work these things out, bearing in mind the fixtures of all the teams involved, and the fact that some of them must have to play each other, how many points do we think it will take for automatic promotion? I was thinking 82, but perhaps that will no lomger be needed? What do you think?!
lidbid46

Re: How many points?

Postby Garawa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I think points are a guide. If the top sides suddenly start losing galore they will still go up with lower points and then suddenly those at the bottom who thought X was safe to stay up suddenly go down with more than the target they set out to get. It has happened before.

Last season Crawley in 3rd had 84 points, season before Wycombe had 80, then it was Rochdale 82, Wycombe 78, Hereford 88, Swindon 85, Leyton Orient 81, Swansea 80 and Torquay 81. So in 2007/8 Stockport had 82 points but finished 4th and yet the season after Exeter and Wycombe both went up having only got 79 and 78 respectively!

Looking at these a very safe total is 83 so 5 wins to go! Personally I think it will be a low total this season despite the start looking as if we could break the record (in fact about half way through we were on course to break the league record for points in a season)!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: How many points?

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 am

Big night tonight, think this the the night the top three all win and the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" opens up once and for all. Season ends with Gillingham DIVISION CHAMPIONS 83/4 points, Burton one point behind and Vale bring up the rear of the automatics. GO GILLINGHAM.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion