Euro 2016 Thread

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 pm

We were 30 seconds from Portugal! I`m a lot happier playing Iceland than Portugal,as Ronaldo has just come into form.We also haven`t beaten them since 1966 in tournament Football.Iceland will be quite defensive,but I feel more confident playing them.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Iceland play good old kick and rush football, hoof the ball up the field and hope someone is there. I think they got away with a lot of fouls in that last game, elbows, pushing, the ref seemed to be a bit lenient on them.
Leave three at the back at all times and don't let them come past the half way mark in our own end and shoot at will ,thats the way to beat a team like Iceland ,good old Gillingham Football from the 60's and 70's..........and 80's and 90's and 00's and 10's, lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:39 pm

What a great result for the Free State; was quite impressed with Italy prior to this match but not sure they really turned up
CadburyMan

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:41 pm

It's always easier to play a team that has already qualified.
lidbid46

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaHHTwntaEQ

Iceland Commentator Gudmundur Benediktsson was clearly happy with Arnor Ingvi Traustason's last gasp winner against Austria.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36631186 Wales V Northern Ireland Highlights Here..................

Quality Wise this was one of the poorest games of the tournament, but you have to give Michael O'Neill a lot of credit, instead of lining up with his usual 4.1.4.1 formation, The Northern Ireland Manager played three at the back to stop Chris Gunter and Neil Taylor from providing Wales with the pace and width I saw from Wales when I watched The Slovakia Game and this match was a real tactical battle, a battle that Northern Ireland had the better off as Stuart Dallas forced Wayne Hennessey to make the best save of the first half and The Wales Number One had to tip over Jamie Ward's excellent strike, I am not sure what game Dean Saunders was watching, because he wanted Northern Ireland to attack so Wales can hit Northern Ireland on the counter attack, well Northern Ireland were attacking, they had created two goal-scoring opportunities which have tested Wayne Hennessey between the sticks, and because Michael O'Neill had made sure that Chris Gunter and Neil Taylor are marked, Wales are struggling to get any attacking moves going.

Neil Taylor whips in a fantastic cross and Sam Vokes manages to header the ball on target and even though Aaron Ramsey sticks the ball into the back of the net, Aaron Ramsey was flagged for offside, and I think Michael McGovern would have saved Sam Vokes header on target, The Northern Ireland Goalkeeper was having a very comfortable first forty five minutes compared to the number of saves he had to make against Germany, saves that have ensured that Northern Ireland reached The Knock-Out Stages of The European Championships.

The Second Half started to open up a bit more as Aaron Ramsey whips in a fantastic cross which is headed just wide by Sam Vokes and Wales had an even better chance as Gareth Bale's effort on goal from another free kick is saved by Michael McGovern and Wales were a much improved team in The Second Half, the substitutions from Chris Coleman made all the difference as Hal Robson-Kanu comes on for Sam Vokes and Johnny Williams replaces Joe Ledley, and it was Hal Robson-Kanu who was involved for the move which eventually created the only goal of the game, Aaron Ramsey plays the ball forward to Hal-Robson-Kanu, who holds the ball up and plays the ball back to Aaron Ramsey, who plays the ball out-wide to Gareth Bale, who has whipped in a dangerous low cross across the six yard box and Gareth McAuley was very unlucky to score The Own Goal which separated the two sides, because The Northern Ireland Defender had to make contact with the ball as Hal Robson-Kanu was in for a tap in and there have been a few goals scored like that in this tournament.

Michael O'Neill threw caution the wind and Josh Magennis, Niall McGinn and Conor Washington all came on to try and give Northern Ireland more of a attacking threat in the final third, Conor Washington came on before Wales had scored the opening goal of the game, but Michael O'Neill has relied on Josh Magennis and Niall McGinn as impact substitutes through this competition, and Niall McGinn scoring the second goal against Ukraine meant that Northern Ireland qualified as one of the four best third placed teams to reach The Knock-Out Stages, you have to say well done to Northern Ireland and Wales for getting out of there respective groups, Wales can consider themselves very lucky to win, but you need some luck along the way if your going to progress in this competition and in Gareth Bale, Wales have got A World Class Player who can make the difference on the day, he proved that against Northern Ireland Yesterday as it was his cross which led to the only goal of what was a really good tactical battle, but this match was lacking quality, although the endeavour and effort from the players could never be questioned on a very hot afternoon.

UEFA Deserve credit for giving this Home Nations Match to Martin Atkinson, A Foreign Referee would not have allowed this match to flow as it did and Martin Atkinson treated yesterday's match like a derby and tried to let the match flow, Now that Wales are in The Quarter Finals, they have a genuine chance of winning The Euro's, Denmark won in 1992, Greece won in 2004, Wales for 2016 ??? - that is very likely, hopefully England can reach The Quarter Finals with a win, but Iceland will not be easy to play against, as they have shown from there matches against Hungary, Austria and Portugal.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:52 pm

Goals, at last some goals in the Euros, I wonder if we will be invited to play next time or will England have been excommunicated by the rest of Europe by then , maybe replaced by teams like Kazakhastan, Turkmeinestan, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan , so come on England lets join in the fun in 2016.
England are going to score in the first fifteen minutes against Iceland, then score again before half time. On comes Vardy in the 60th minute , and he scores , Iceland pull one back and think they still have a chance of winning, then with five minutes to go England score again, to make the final score 4-1 to the good guys.
Wales to win it all, EEEYYYYZZZZZZYYYY there my dear Ms. Fanny Mulligan, so far they have played Austria, Hungry , Portugal and Northern Ireland,( without Georgie Best ) , not exactly the cream of the crop was it ? Austria managed ONE WHOLE POINT out of THREE games, we saw today how good Hungry are ,( has Belgium stopped scoring yet ) , and Portugal have to be one of the luckiest teams to get through from any group, and they hardly dominated Nth Ireland did they, in what was a pretty ugly game, put two guys on Bale and he done, it took an own goal for them to win , so while it's fun to watch the minnows of Europe play, now it's the BIG BOYS turn, and Wales ain't no big boys. ??
Don't bet your polo mints money on Wales to win their next game there Ms Fanny Mulligan, there going out to what today looked like a very good Belgium team, allowing England that Might Little Island Empire In The Sea, to carry the flag as THE UNITED KINGDOMS only representatives left in the Euros of 2016 and doing it despite the fact that Hodgson still the manager, and despite the fact we pretend were Scots and insist on playing with either blue on our shirt or blue sox.
GGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEENNNNNGGGGGGLLLLLAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDDD.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Well done Hodgson, bringing an out of form Sterling back to play against Iceland, does this guy know that this is a knock out game and were not still playing group games ?
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 pm

My blog for the first half of the England v Iceland game. England ........sad sacks of sh*t. Sorry let me edit that. England .............sad sacks of clueless sh*t.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 pm

England 1-2 Iceland.Firstly got to say well done to Iceland,who showed a lot more passion than we did.They had their tactics and stuck to them,while defending well.When we went 1-0 up on 3 minutes I thought we have got the early goal,now they have to come out which should help us.I was wrong,and we shut off 2 minutes after through a long throw and their player has had an easy finish.Poor defending and a lack of concentration.After that it got worse when a straight forward shot has beaten Hart,and again he has made a big mistake.This Time we never bounced back from that,and the second half we looked like a Team with no ideas.We were crying out for Vardy & Rashford,and the latter only came on with 5 minutes left.He was our main shining light,and was the only one looking to run in the box with the ball.

The defeat will be remembered as the most embarrassing in a tournament for England.Losing to a Country the size of Leicester,and a Country that has more volcanoes than professional footballers.Roy Hodgson did the right thing and quit straight away,but it is a dark day for the national Team where this should have been a straight forward path to the QF`s.Roy did a good job overall,I liked the guy but you`re judged on tournaments.His last two have been ones to remember for the wrong reasons.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

PreviousNext

Return to Football Discussion