Euro 2016 Thread

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:21 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36553520- Highlights of Ukraine 0 - 2 Northern Ireland Here..........

Northern Ireland have to play Germany in the final group game so it was essential that Northern Ireland got at least a point from this game, but picking up all three points will mean that whatever happens throughout the rest of this tournament, Northern Ireland will have this win to hang on to as one of there memorable moments from this competition, and with four of the best third placed teams progressing into the knockout stages, then Northern Ireland could still reach the last sixteen, which would be an unbelievable achievement for them considering that Poland, Ukraine and Germany are in Group C - Although Germany will need to win against Poland to give Northern Ireland the best possible chance of reaching the knockout stages.

https://twitter.com/Gersfan_78/status/743502167273775104

Iain Dowie has also just provided us with the best commentator moment of Euro 2016, the above link on Twitter is worth watching a few times.

Northern Ireland went into this tournament with the highest amount of goals scored from set plays, so when Gareth McAuley headed home Oliver Norwood's cross, you cannot say you were surprised with how Northern Ireland scored the opening goal, but I still celebrated when Gareth McAuley opened the scoring because the possibility of Northern Ireland winning this match was becoming more and more possible, and Northern Ireland could have scored from Jamie Ward's in-swinging corner kick which was headed just wide by Craig Cathcart, so the lead was warranted, Ukraine almost equalised as Yevhen Seleznyov was saved and gathered at the second attempt by Michael McGovern.

I also thought that Northern Ireland did extremely well to contain Yevhen Konoplyanka and Andriy Yarmolenko these two played on opposite flanks so they could cut inside and shoot and Northern Ireland made sure that they had bodies in-front of Michael McGovern's goal, especially with the wet conditions as the ball only had to zip off the turf and force a goalkeeping error which would have led to Ukraine's equaliser, and Ukraine had there chances to equalise as Seleznyov's header picks out Kovalenko, and his effort on goal from the edge of Northern Ireland's Penalty Area fails to hit the target, Yarmolenko cuts inside and see's his driven effort on goal parried away from goal by Michael McGovern, and The Northern Ireland Goalkeeper was also quick off his line to get a strong arms on to the ball to punch the ball away from goal.

And deep into stoppage time Northern Ireland make the three points safe, Josh Magennis could of ran to the corner flag, but The Northern Ireland Striker gets to the byline and pulls the ball back to Niall McGinn, who dummies the ball and this allows a free shot on the edge of the penalty area which can only be parried by Andriy Pyatov, and there was Niall McGinn to convert the re-bound to secure all three points for Northern Ireland, and that goal could be important after the final games are played in Group C, as Northern Ireland have a +1 goal difference, and I do think head to head is applied if teams are level on points, so Ukraine winning against Poland might not be enough for Ukraine to go into third place, but if goal difference is applied first, then Northern Ireland will need to avoid a heavy defeat against Germany in the final group game.

This was an incredible result for Northern Ireland, Iain Dowie's goal celebration was brilliant and has made for the best commentator moment of Euro 2016, and there is the possibility of England, Wales, Republic Of Ireland and Northern Ireland reaching the knockout stages of The European Championships, which would be incredible.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36551488 - England V Wales Highlights Here

You have got to give Roy Hodgson a lot of credit, because all three substitutions were attack minded as Marcus Rashford, Daniel Sturridge and Jamie Vardy came on for Adam Lallana, Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling, and two of those substitutions got themselves on the score-sheet as Jamie Vardy scored England's equaliser on fifty six minutes and Daniel Sturridge scored England's winning goal in stoppage time, Euro 2016 has been about late goals and in the two matches England have played so far, there has been a late equaliser from Russia and a late winner from Daniel Sturridge, that late winner puts England top of Group B, and all England have to do is avoid defeat against Slovakia to qualify automatically for the knockout stages - in truth we probably have qualified already with four points, but it would be nice to get the result we need against Slovakia and top the group, and go into the knockout stages fully of confidence.

Before the match kicked off I mentioned on Twitter that England needed to pick up three points regardless of how well we played and that is precisely what England have done, but boy don't we make hard work of it, England are giving us a reminder of what we're missing when The Football Season is over, as we have had plenty of these moments supporting Gillingham, and I have got to say that Joe Hart has to do better with that Gareth Bale Free Kick, his positioning was wrong, he didn't do enough to turn the ball around the post and there have been a lot of goalkeeping error's from free kick's in this tournament, but Joe Hart could have cost England the victory here and the only positive is that Joe Hart admitted to the media post match that his team mates have bailed him out of trouble here.

England's 4.3.3 formation meant that Neill Taylor and Chris Gunter were pushed back by both Kyle Walker and Danny Rose, Kyle Walker was out-standing against Wales and fifty seven touches of the ball in the oppositions half is unbelievable, Wales rely on there wing backs to push forward to create the width, and Chris Gunter and Neil Taylor couldn't provide Wales with the width they needed to get further forward, but you have to say that defensively, Ashley Williams, James Chester and Ben Davies were superb, blocking shots on the edge of the penalty area, there positioning was superb as Ashley Williams was always giving his team mates instructions and I cannot believe that A Top Premier League Side hasn't signed Ashley Williams, as you want a defender who can defend first and foremost, and that is precisely what Ashley Williams can do, also he has the highest minutes played of any Premier League Player over the past five year's, which is an unbelievable stat.

Roy Hodgson has the right kind of selection dilemma you want, Daniel Sturridge and Jamie Vardy have both come on and made an impact, Adam Lallana has played well, Harry Kane deserves the benefit of the doubt, as this hasn't been a free scoring tournament so far, but Raheem Sterling just isn't clinical enough to play as a wide striker in this 4.3.3 formation and his decision making in the final third is poor for a player who Manchester City spent fifty million on, you want strikers to be in the front three, so there is the possibility of playing Sturridge, Kane and Vardy up-front and really go for it against Slovakia, and England have to go for it and attack because there is still a lot of question marks about England defensively.

In the build up to this tournament, there was a documentary about Euro 1996 and the similarities between the two tournaments have already shown up in the first two games, England took the lead against Switzerland and were pegged back to a 1-1 draw, the same-thing happened against Russia in our opening group game, England played there second group match against a home nation and win, in Euro 1996 England won 2 - 0 against Scotland, yesterday it was a 2-1 win against Wales, both matches saw inspired substitutions at half time, now if England can win the final group game 4 - 1 against Slovakia then that would be great, that 4 - 1 win against The Netherlands is still the best England Match I have watched, because England tore apart a world class team in a match that really mattered, winning 5 - 1 against Germany was nice, but that match was a friendly, you want to win the matches that matter and have something on the line, it is nice to win against a top nation in a friendly, but it is always better to beat a top team when you really need to win, and England have not done that often enough.

Wales defended resolutely and there effort and endeavour almost earned them a very important point, but when you compare Wales performance against Slovakia to the performance against England, the performance against Slovakia was much better, but the one thing Wales have done is given themselves an fantastic opportunity to reach the knockout stages, because that win against Slovakia gives Wales the chance to either get second spot, or one of the best four third placed side positions in the group, but Russia will not be easy and they still have the chance to reach the knock-out stages themselves, but I just think that Wales have a player in Gareth Bale who is capable of producing something out of nothing, and the rest of the team know how to defend, as four goals conceded in qualification is an impressive defensive record, and it is that defensive record which will see Wales get one of the top two positions in the group.

I just hope that Roy Hodgson goes for it in the final group game, go out with every intention of winning the match and topping Group B, his substitutions yesterday earned England a win from a losing position, it would be nice to name a team close to the team that ended the game against Wales for the team that started against Slovakia, although I cannot see Marcus Rashford starting and he will probably be used as an impact substitute.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:11 pm

A very nervy England game,with a brilliant ending.I felt we controlled the game,and had more chances and possession than Wales.Their only chance was their goal from Bale which was about 35 yards out.It was a decent strike,but Hart should be saving that.I felt we started with the wrong Team.Sterling looked off it,and Kane looked tired today.The half-time changes of bringing on Vardy & Sturridge seem to lift us more,and we had Wales camped in their own half for a lot of the second half.Vardy used great instinct to equalise for us,which must have been his first few touches.After that we just kept coming at Wales,they defended really well.I thought a winner would not come,but Sturridge stepped up in the 90th minute to fire past Hennessy.Massive relief,and fan passion from every England fan! Seen some great vines of England fans going mental as that went in.I think we deserved the win,and got our rewards unlike the Russia game.We sit top of the group knowing it`s in our hands now on Monday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Told you there was a worst team than England in the Euros didn't I, it's called Portugal, now where is my Iceland shirt, Come on " Stukamir Okkar " you can do it.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Roy made 6 changes which I felt at this stage is too much.We certainly did all the attacking as Slovakia parked the bus,but we lacked that killer ball or bit of skill to win the game.Wales did what we couldn`t do by beating Russia 3-0,and that late goal we conceded v Russia has cost us top spot.We should have won this group,but we have to get over finishing 2nd and be ready for Monday.We will play Austria,Hungary,Iceland,or Portugal on Monday,got to hope Ronaldo doesn`t turn it on and they play us.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:31 am

If that game had been played till midnight tomorrow no one would have scored, England had about 60% of the possession, 11 corners to 0, played the ball all over the pitch with pass after pass going from red shirt to red shirt without a white shirt getting close, but what does any of that matter if you can NOT put the ball in the net ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Hodgson still doesn't know his best team...how could he when he never plays the same side for more than 45 minutes ? His substitutions against Wales we're not inspired they were his only option. Having finally, by accident rather than design, got a side out that was playing with confidence and momentum he makes six entirely random changes. The man is about as interesting as a blancmange with half the decision making skills.
He's finally realised Sterling 's not good enough and someone now needs to point out Wilshere isn't fit and Jordan Henderson is not an international footballer.
Rimshot

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Very difficult to break down a team who have eleven men behind the ball and there has been some exceptional defending throughout this tournament, England are not the only team to be frustrated with a goal-less draw, Germany 0-0 Poland, France 0-0 Switzerland and Portugal 0-0 Austria - and Ronaldo missed a penalty, so why have some of our supporters gone into meltdown because we have failed to secure victory against A Slovakia Side who have beaten Germany prior to this tournament starting, and Slovakia beat Spain in qualification for Euro 2016 ??? - I do think there is a level or arrogance among our supporters who have a mentality that because we're England we only have to turn up to win because we're playing little Slovakia, I am not saying England should be pleased with the point, I am disappointed that we couldn't break Slovakia down last night, but we have to acknowledge the excellent defensive display from Slovakia.

Jamie Vardy, Adam Lallana and Nathaniel Clyne all had efforts saved by Slovakia Goalkeeper and Matus Kozacik saw his goal-bound effort somehow kept out by Martin Skrtel when I thought that effort was in, but our passing and movement needs to be so quick and precise to break down a resolute defensive display from Slovakia and I don't think either Ryan Bertrand or Nathaniel Clyne got enough low crosses in to really test Slovakia's defence, England needed to get in and behind Slovakia, and when we did that, England create chances, which is why Adam Lallana and Jamie Vardy were able to force Matus Kozacik to make solid saves, and I saw solid saves because Adam Lallana had to strike the ball first time and the ball was at the right height for Matus Kozacik to make the save, and Jamie Vardy perhaps could of tried to go for either corner, but Vardy was under pressure from A Slovakia Defender to strike the ball first time.

Wayne Rooney, Dele Alli and Harry Kane all came on as England tried to find the winner, but Slovakia brought on defensive substitutions in Norbert Gyömber, A Centre Back, Milan Škriniar, A Centre Back and Dušan Švento, A Left Back to keep that Slovakia Penalty Area as compact as possible, those substitutions earned Slovakia the point they needed to reach The Last Sixteen as one of the best four third placed teams in the group, but England need to get back on the training ground and start working on how to break teams down, because this will be a feature of the tournament, as I am sure that Iceland, Hungary and Austria will play with this same defensive line up in the last sixteen, Portugal will have to give it a go against England because Pepe and Ricardo Carvalho are both experienced centre back's, but they have been less then convincing from what I saw from The Portugal V Iceland Game.

Roy Hodgson made six changes to the team, fair enough Jamie Vardy and Daniel Sturridge both started, they both deserved to start after there impact against Wales, but Nathaniel Clyne, Ryan Bertrand, Jack Wilshire and Jordan Henderson, I am not so sure, clearly Roy Hodgson was looking to unify the squad by giving as many players game-time and had England won against Slovakia then we wouldn't be talking about the six changes, but the draw means that we're talking about these changes, but even if Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, Wayne Rooney, Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling all started, would we have broken Slovakia down, that is the question that will remain unanswered, Slovakia wouldn't have changed there approach to the game unless England scored, and that's the problem, England haven't scored in the first half of all three Group Game Matches we have played in and the players must also have blame attached to them as well as Roy Hodgson, the players are on the pitch, once they cross the white line what happens in the ninety minutes is there responsibility, and England could have lost had Slovakia capitalized on that mistake between Joe Hart and Chris Smalling - mostly Chris Smalling's mistake as he should have cleared the ball.

Now for positives, Eric Dier was out-standing in the defensive holding midfielder role and that pass through to Daniel Sturridge was remarkable, his positioning was excellent as usual, and Eric Dier has all the attributes to be a world class defensive holding midfielder, he is the only player who has started to have scored for England in this tournament and Eric Dier along with Wayne Rooney have to be one of the first name's on the team-sheet, before Euro 2016 started, I thought Wayne Rooney would struggle to get into the starting line up, but Wayne Rooney the midfielder is showing all the attributes required for a midfielder, as Rooney's passing and switching of play has been a feature of this tournament.

I also found it interesting what Slaven Bilić had to say, he mentioned that Wayne Rooney hasn't had to come on as a substitute so he doesn't have to come on and be an impact player, compared to Andy Carroll - how we could have done with his aerial presence last night - who knows how to come on and make an impact, this tournament has been a tournament for substitutes, Jamie Vardy and Daniel Sturridge have proved that in The Wales Game, and how I was hoping for one of Dele Alli, Wayne Rooney or Harry Kane to make the breakthrough, but Slovakia held on for the point.

Credit to Wales for tearing Russia apart last night, Russia had to go for it and I think that played into there hands, but Russia were woeful and not beating them in the opening game is why England haven't topped the group, but Gareth Bale is the world class player England are lacking, we have got some promising players who are playing in there first tournament, but how many players have England have got that are world class ??? - maybe Wayne Rooney, England have got several elite players, but elite players are in the tier below world class players, I think this group of players can grow together for 2018, 2020 and 2022, but we need a performance from this group of players now that puts down a real marker, we saw that in 1996 when England won 4 - 1 against The Netherlands, we haven't seen that performance from England so far, despite the fact that we're dominating possession and creating chances.

As for the next game, I would stick with the 4.3.3 formation England have been playing, the diamond midfield formation has been less then convincing and England have the players to make The 4.3.3 work really well, we're just not stretching teams and using the full width of the pitch, and we need to put in more low crosses to open up tight and compact defences, credit to Slovakia, they had a game-plan, and implemented that plan to perfection, yes it is frustrating, yes England didn't win, but we should also give credit where credit is duo because Slovakia had to earn that point last night, Hopefully now we're in the knock-out stages we will see teams go for it more.

There has been a lot of talk about Roy Hodgson's future as England Manager while the tournament has been on-going, which for me personally is un-fair, and any decision for Roy Hodgson to stay or go, should be made once Euro 2016 is over, but what are your thoughts and opinion's on Roy Hodgson ??? Do you think he should remain as England Manager or does Roy Hodgson have to take England to The Quarter Finals / Semi Finals to remain in charge for qualification for The 2018 World Cup, if not, is there someone you want to see take over as England Manager, or would you wait for Euro 2016 to finish, before making any decisions on The England Manager ???
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:40 pm

God Fanny Muligan of course were supposed to beat Slovakia ,Wales and Russia, and as for Hiodgson getting us back on the practise pitch to learn how to break down a defence, what the hell has this clown supposed to have been doing since 2012 when he took over as manager ??
What nice happy world do you live in ? In the one I live where every one discusses everything half the time within seconds of something happening,well if your not performing doing your job you get talked about and if you don't buck up you get fired, and yeah the discussion starts way before the firing takes place ,and if your the England manager your in the spotlight and everyone talks about you.
I guess playing that fantasy manager all the time your getting confused with what happens in the real world .
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:29 pm

Now my dear Miss Fanny Mulligan , prey tell , are we supposed to beat Iceland or will we consider it a jolly good try if we go out to them in this next round ,say well done Hogson nice try and give him the green light to go off to the 2018 World Cup as Englands manager. ??
So who is more worried England playing Iceland or Icelandd playing England ??
I think England should be looking at a younger guy to lead us for the next 10 years, maybe the likes of Eddie Howe or Gary Monk, better still give Jurgen Klopp the salary he gets now, PLUS, the profit from the beer and soft drinks sales, parking ,program sales and anything esle you can think of to lead us to the next WC.
gillsfan1066

PreviousNext

Return to Football Discussion