Euro 2016 Thread

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:48 am

I sat and watched this game in a bar with like 60 or more people from the US, Mexico, and various other countries in South America, some guys from Ireland and other places in Europe .
How did I feel at the end..................Imagine yourself in a bar in Glasgow and it was an England Scotland game and Scotland won 10--0, I have never been so ashamed to be wearing my England World Cup shirt from Brazil as I was today.
Starting tomorrow I think once you have got 10 caps playing for England then your done, your gone, out the door , and someone else who really wants to play, maybe someone from the likes of Gillingham , Aldershot or Maidstone takes your place, what a f***ing joke Hodgson and this England team were.
Today I watched Hodgson and the Spanish head coach (BOTH LOSERS) sit in the box while the Italian coach ran the line shouting,cheering, and just about doing everything but score for Italy, please England get someone under 103 to manage the team next time.
Deep ,deep, deep, depression here tonight, I have started watching Ivor the Engine on You Tube tonight learning to speak with a Welsh accent , I might be able to fool a few of the people for some of the time.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:13 pm

That was the worst England game I've ever seen and worse than any Gills game from last season too! Hodgeson had to go playing out form players low on confidence, ones virtually still injured and others WELL out of position but that perfomance was TOTALLY down to the players. Kane couldn't hit a ball lower than kicks Johnny Wilkinson would be proud of, Rooney (and others) must have had grease on their shoes as suddenly they were incapable of even stopping a slow ball dead without it skipping away to an opposition player. Best player was Rashford who only played 5 minutes! Awful.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi everyone on the Gillingham thread , bit of help please. This is Daeng Huang from Bangkok, anyone know where I should be delivering the 10 million paid to the English players for throwing the Iceland game, I can't keep walking round with all this money in a suite case, someone call Mr.Joe Hart and ask him where he wants his million delivered, and is Mr Rooney home today does anyone know, he was so good at taking free kicks and hitting the fifth row in the stands we are going to give him one and a half million pounds, very good Mr. Rooney, very very good.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 pm

It started at the top, idiots at the FA that hired a guy who had been to 20 clubs in 30 something years and done nothing, then they didn't fire the managers sorry ass when he screwed up at the World Cup , who showed what a clown he was sitting in his seat with his hands on his head like some dumb ass with time on the clock losing to ICELAND.
But the players liked him, hahaha, of course they did because they did what ever they wanted when he was in charge, no one took a blind bit of notice of the old fool, they showed how much they liked him yesterday, hahaha.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Prepare yourselves for a long post.......

After England’s 2 - 1 defeat against Iceland on Monday, Roy Hodgson took the only decision that was available to him and resigned as England Manager, I have a lot of sympathy for Roy Hodgson, because he wasn’t on the pitch putting in a dreadful dire performance on the pitch and it is Roy Hodgson getting the blunt of the criticism and it is Roy Hodgson who has to do another Press Conference the day after he has resigned, not one England Player took responsibility on the pitch and said - look this isn’t working, let’s try something different - our control at times was appalling, our set plays were often over-hit and going out of play, and neither Raheem Sterling or Daniel Sturridge were willing to put in crosses into the penalty area and test Iceland’s defence on the few occasions we managed to get in and behind Iceland’s back-line.

I think Roy Hodgson is a very experienced manager and he has plenty of International Experience, and now he will be known as The England Manager who lost to Iceland, but his achievements at Malmo, Inter Milan, Fulham and West Brom are going to be forgotten, but as much as I do have sympathy for Roy Hodgson, he made some questionable decisions before and during this tournament, taking Jack Wilshire and Jordan Henderson were risks, I can understand Jordan Henderson being selected, but Jack Wilshire has barely kicked a ball all season, Roy Hodgson stuck his neck on the line by starting Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling may have won the penalty which was scored by Wayne Rooney, but he was very disappointing from then onwards, and Harry Kane has struggled throughout the competition, he hasn’t had the service he requires and why Harry Kane is taking free kicks I have no idea.

The players panicked at 2-1 down, we lacked idea’s, imagination, quality and the character and mentality to get ourselves back on level terms, the latter two characteristics is clearly lacking in English Players, before Euro 2016 started, Alan Shearer was looking back at Euro 96, the only tournament that I can remember England doing really well in, and we had players like David Seaman, Tony Adams, Stuart Pearce, Paul Ince, Alan Shearer and Teddy Sheringham, Captain’s, Leaders and players who could scrap when England wanted to scrap, and players who wanted to play when we wanted to play, now there are some talented youngsters in this England Team, Dele Alli, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, John Stones, Ross Barkley and Eric Dier, but they needed The Experienced Players to help them out, and one experienced player in particular cost us on more occasion in this tournament and that player is Joe Hart.

Joe Hart should of saved Gareth Bale’s Free Kick and I thought he should have saved the second goal scored by Kolbeinn Sigþórsson, But England’s defending before Iceland’s Second Goal was dreadful and to concede from a long throw just moments after England had taken the lead is amateur defending, I watched Iceland play in there opening two group games, they are compact, hard to break down and Iceland do rely on the set play’s and second ball’s to score goals, but Iceland have A Team, they know there strength’s and weaknesses, they know there limitations, they know that whatever happens they will have a hero’s welcome back in Iceland, as Iceland have never qualified for a major tournament before, but you know how Iceland are going to play.

We cannot say about England, we cannot say that this is how we are going to line up and this is how England are going to play, and this is where Roy Hodgson does get criticism, he should have found a system and had a good idea on his best eleven, and before the tournament had started, everyone was praising Roy Hodgson for picking several young players who are going to be in future England Squad’s for The World Cup in 2018 and 2022, and The European Championships in 2020 and 2024, but we went into every match thinking that England could be playing the diamond midfield formation, are England lining up with a 4.3.3 or 4.2.3.1 formation? and which player is playing where and not having a clear system and a clear way of playing was our un-doing.

The Pundits on BBC made this valid point on Monday Night, you could be the worse team in the world, but you can make up for your limitations if your organised and have a clear way on how to approach games, Iceland made up for there limitations and I am going to say congratulations to Iceland for deservingly winning against England, I think a few of our players thought that they only had to turn up to win against Iceland, and under-estimating the opposition has proven to be costly, this is a very good Iceland side that won twice and kept clean sheets in both matches against The Netherlands, even if England didn’t under-estimate the opposition and perhaps the occasion got to the players or we just didn’t believe or had the character to get ourselves back on to level terms, this is as bad of a performance I can remember from A England Side in my life-time, now England have been disappointing in tournaments, World Cup 2014 we didn’t even get out of the group stage, but that performance on Monday Night was a real low, and now the task of re-building this side goes to a new manager.

What I hope The FA don’t do which is what they do after every tournament, they start looking at ways or improving The English Game and I can see Premier League B Teams being discussed in detail as a suggestion of improving The England National Side, there are seventy two fantastic and well supported clubs in The Football League and many more brilliant supported clubs in Non League Football, all Premier League B Teams will do is damage English Football, there are no benefits to include Premier League B Team’s into The Football League.

I also think that The FA have no direction, they keep picking the flavour of the month, we kept talking about Spain and Barcelona’s Tika Taka Football, then it was the football Germany Played, and with Leicester City winning The Premier League Title and Iceland winning against England, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if counter attacking 4.4.2 formations get talked about as the way forward for England, we need to find our own identity and our own style of play, even if it is dull and boring to watch, at least we as supporters can say that this is how England will line up and this is how England are going to play.

I was also listening to Chris Waddle and Danny Mills speak at great length, and the coaching badges in England are much more experience and there are more hurdles to over-come in England compared to France, Spain, Italy and Germany, Academies and Saturday / Sunday League Football is all about winning and not the development for players and you got to enjoy playing football first and foremost before you start going into the tactical and coaching side of things, but we seem to say all of this after every tournament, Roy Hodgson has lost his job as England Manager, but the changing of manager's has been done in the past to no real effect or improvement to The England National Side.

Perhaps the biggest thing that Chris Waddle and Danny Mills spoke about is that Germany, France, Italy, Spain and The Netherlands all find roles for Former Internationals' within there national set up, Gareth Southgate is Englanf U21 Manager and he is being spoken about as a possible candidate to replace Roy Hodgson, Aidy Boothroyd is England Under 19 Manager and Neil Dewsnip is Head Coach for The England Under 18's, if we could somehow fill those roles with people like Paul Scholes, Alan Shearer, David Seaman, David Beckham and Tony Adams, players who know what it takes to play for England in a major tournament and add more football people at all levels of England's Age Groups then that may well help the players a lot more, other major footballing countries seem to do this a lot better then England, but we also have the lowest percentage of footballers playing top flight football in The Premier League, and not only that, our players do not go abroad to try and experience a different type of football and another way of playing.

Whoever is appointed as England Manager needs to come up with a system, finds players that fits that system and gives us as supporters a idea of how we are going to play, if that means dropping players who we are surprised to see not named in the squad, then I can accept that providing that there is a clear message on the team, the system we're going to play and a idea of how England are going to play, for now Gareth Southgate will hold the fort as Interim Manager, but he isn't someone I would look to appoint as England Manager, leave Gareth Southgate as Under 21 Manager, but for the top job we need someone else, the trouble is we have no idea who that replacement is going to be.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:53 pm

OH GOOD GRIEF , the England players panicked after going 1-2 down, lol, I wish they had then they might have done something,instead of passing the ball backwards all the time.
We have had two wallys recently managing England, one wally with a brolly the other wally with his head in his hands, with time on the clock, for gods sake someone tell those clowns at Wembley to hire a young guy, and let him play players that WANT to play for England, if there are any ??
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:06 am

Oh God the world has come to an end, now Wales rubs it in, what the hell, doesn't anyone from the major countrys care enough to really play any more, time to dump this competition, turn it into a Johnston Paint Pot trophy for the minnows to play every four years and let the others concentrate on the World Cup.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:04 am

My blog for the France /Portugal Final.
I got out of bed when I finished the last of the beers in the six pack of IPA , man has to start the day with a good breakfast I always say, made sure I had my I phone, spare battery, 2 packets of polo mints and the can of coke that I drive 45 miles to buy, it's only $1.20 at this shop in Rockford, saves me 40 cents, met her at home as I came out of the bathroom, she said she was watching a film and had been for 3 hours but it would be over in 12 minutes, so I put my I phone , spare battery ,coke and two packets of polos on the table, picked up the clicker and got rid of the crap she was watching, had to listen to her bleating for the next ten minutes about what a pig I am ,but hey, a mans got to watch the four and a half hour pre- game show on ESPN 2 hasn't he ??
Opened a 12 pack of Budweiser, and by the time the game started I had had a good scratch, adjusted me self a few times and wondered how people go to footie matches , when they could experience the joy of sitting here like me in their own front room ,in their underwear , half drunk watching it all on the telly, amazes me ?

FIRST HALF. ...................... Saw the coin toss and was happy to see they were playing in different colored shirts, even their own country's colors, unlike England that think there Argentina. watched some great 50 yard back passes ,then woke up when the score was still 0-0, so I guess this should really be titled FIRST AND SECOND HALF, as the clock said 93 minutes.
EXTRA TIME...................... Couldn't see me boy Ronaldo anywhere so I guess he got fed up and went home, then Portugal scored, then on came Ronaldo with only one leg, and it was all over, the Frenchies cried like they always do, the Port u geese cheered like they have never had the chance to do in the past 100 years , I watched the 3 hour post game show and that was that, the Euros were all over for another four years.

All the way back to the bedroom me and her discussed how third place finishers should not be allowed to play after the first round , but once I laid down and realized the Froggies had really lost, and I had lost hundreds and hundreds of bucks on this stupid competition, well I sort of went to sleep a some what happy guy knowing the Frenchie's were probably more miserable than me..
I even took a leaf out of Mr Lidbits book when she started taking her tent of a dress off, and telling me I look like Ronaldo in this light, I said thanks honey thats nice of you to say that, but your not the first , a few have said the same thing, but not now honey, watching that game took it out of me, and I was asleep in a few minutes still balancing the last of the Budweiser cans on me belly .
gillsfan1066

Previous

Return to Football Discussion