Drugs in Football?

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Drugs in Football?

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 pm

An English guy I was speaking to a couple of years ago told me that they had women playing darts topless on late night TV, someone tell me if this is true please? thanks
gillsfan1066

Postby Poshgill » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 am

Good point Rob and one that has been perplexing cycling for ages. On long stage races such as the Tour de France, then the cyclist's bodies are put through extreme rigours. (In fact, it is the equivalent of someone running a marathon every day for 3 weeks). The natural body resources drop to dangerous levels. In some cases, natural levels of hormones are depleted by the event to such an extent that they put themselves in danger. In fact, in one race, Chris Boardman's iodine levels were so low, he would have been hospitalised if he had been a bloke in the street. Of course, he wasn't allowed to take anything to boost his levels as that would have shown up on a drugs test.

Boardman had to retire from cycling as he developed osteoporosis in the spine and needed to take medication to alleviate the problem. Great line in the cycling press:

Boardman retires from cycling to take drugs!
Poshgill

Postby Garawa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm

That's a very good point Rob about which drugs are acceptable and which are not. Maybe there is a clear definition that isn't evident to the everyday bloke on the street. We will never see a carpet ban will we, not even a paracetemol for a headache.

To play devil's advocate I would still dismiss China a bit though. I would expect sports corruption from China, Eastern block countries and even Italy with a history of huge crime syndicates and previous history of fixing. If caught trying to rig results the next way is help improve results. Again, I am not dismissing the that there no problem in the sport merely saying some of these places are no surprise (excluding Australia of course).

What about darts or bowling?

Isn't that a pre-requisite in darts? I thought a 20% alcohol blood level was the level required before you compete!!!!!!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby sotongill » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:44 pm

No one going to answer our friend in the Colonies ?

Topless Darts was a programme on a now defunct Cable TV Channel , Live TV , which started in the nineties and went bust at some point in the last decade .

The Show lasted about five minutes , possibly twice a night , but i have my suspicions that they weren't really Professional Womens Darts players , as the only common denominator appeared to be the size of their breasts .

To counter accusations of sexism , they then introduced Lunchbox Volleyball .
sotongill

Postby Garawa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 pm

I couldn't watch it. Always feared a dart might hit the wire and bounce back. Topless snooker was a disaster as well. Liberal application of talcum powder between the bosoms required there!

Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 am

Topless darts channel went bust ...well I never.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:29 am

Lol, well I never, we have never had anything as exciting as that on TV here, lol. We have had the Women's Lingerie Football (American football) and to tell you the truth they play hard,( scare the bejeebers out of me if I was on the field with them), got women's wrestling and starting in a few weeks the Bikini Women's Basketball league starts playing. but everyone is fully dressed , well kind of.
Knew I should never have left, lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 am

Might have been covered earlier but if a sportsman, in any sport you care to name, has a pain-killer injection/medication in order to continue would that count as a "performance enhancing" drug? Without it he/she couldn't carry on. In my mind it is no different
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Rob did make that point and very valid it is too. I line needs to be made very clearly or else ban everything, even a paracetemol for a headache. Kind of won't work really!

Garawa

Previous

Return to Football Discussion