Portsmouth saga

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Portsmouth saga

Postby Garawa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm

I can't believe how long the Portsmouth saga seems to be dragging on for. There seems to be a few people willing to take it over but then.........well, nothing. Now the Football League is saying that they face expulsion if the preferred bidders do not take over the club by the end of the season. I would have thought that being the supporters trust, they must be more than willing and to be the preferred bidder they must have the means also?

As an aside, if they were to be removed from the league, would five teams go up from League 2 with four automatically?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Portsmouth saga

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 am

Think the league is probably a bit nervous about anyone taking over Portsmouth if they have not got at least 100 million,to throw on the table. Lets be serious anyone taking over Pompey better have unlimited resources, don't think there are that many multi millionaires around willing to spend that sort of money on a poor first division side with an average attendance of 10 or 11,000. They keep saying there are, but few seem to materialise.
Let them "die" and then do a Rangers , not the answer anyone wants I am sure , but I think it is the only realistic thing to do.
The Supporters Trust seem to have 2.7 million or something to buy the ground, but it looks like a certain drop to the 2nd division at the end of the season. They could be relegated to the Blue Square but what will the gate be then 4000,on a good day, if they are lucky, how can they expect to pay off their debt ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Kezz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 am

I didn't realise they are now bottom of league 1. The people of Portsmouth have been hugely let down. As a fan, what can you do?
Kezz

Postby Rimshot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 am

Keep going through the turnstiles. Pompey still get enviable crowds and you would think for an investor that would be something to work with.
Rimshot

Postby CadburyMan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am

Sort of amused me over the weekend in that they are alleged to have charged Carlisle £20 to park the team coach at the ground
CadburyMan

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

It all helps cadburyman!!

Wonder if there was a time limit??
Snackboyslim

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Portsmouth City Council approved a1.5 million pound loan to the supporters club to buy the stadium, chances are that Portsmouth FC will not even be around come the end of the season unless they are out of administration, and they owe what 2 million in VAT and PAYE and possibly a lot more ?
Guess the city will be building a nice new block of homes on the site next year. I can not see anyone paying off this debt for a team playing in the Hellenic League in front of 200 people next season.
Someone sitting on their fat butt in the FA headquarters at Wembley Stadium needs to look at the present state of English Club Football, I suggest they take there rose coloured specs off first.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion