Northern Ireland through and other great stories!

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Northern Ireland through and other great stories!

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am

Northern Ireland are through to Euro 2016 to join England. Sceptics will say there are more places available but they are top of their group. Furthermore Wales look to do the same even if they lose to Bosnia because I'm sure they can get a point against Andorra. The worst the Republic of Ireland can do is get a play off spot so it could be an interesting quartet in France next summer! Imagine that as a group stage!

I can't quite get my head round how they have gone from being poor minnows to group winners overnight? The Faroe Islands will almost certainly finish above Greece in the table and are now suddenly hard to beat and scoring goals! We are even seeing the same with English club sides.......good cohesive sides are outperforming large clubs with the worlds best players in them. I bet we don't get any teams making it out of the group stages of the Champions League! Smaller sides from Greece etc can now beat big teams away from home. It is even found with "not heard of before" European sides from the likes of Kazakstan and Azerbaijan (with TWO sides through) making the group stages of the Euro tournaments with one from the latter comfortably beating a side from Switzerland.

I'm not sure what's going on with football at the moment but I quite like it!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Northern Ireland through and other great stories!

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 pm

From nowhere Northern Ireland have become a side that is hard to bear,and one that can win games regularly.I remember when they lost to the Faroe`s,and Luxembourg.It is easier to qualify now,but they would have still gone through even with the old format as they have topped their group.Only Scotland have missed out from the home nations,so it will be a good tournament with lots of British interest.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Re: Northern Ireland through and other great stories!

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Great joke going around on social media that goes along the lines of Scotland get their independance as everyone else is off to France in the summer. Brilliant.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to Football Discussion