Is Scottish football becoming Welsh?

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Is Scottish football becoming Welsh?

Postby Garawa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:15 pm

The demotion of Rangers left an annual 2 horse race to be a total whitewash by Celtic. Even though the league only contains 12 sides, there is a gulf in class between Celtic and the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts and then a further gulf to rest who are on a par with lower championship / League 1 sides. It should mean Celtic would put 6 passed virtually everyone they play but this has got less and less likely. Competition is closer making it more interesting but only because standards have dropped shown by the dismal effort of Celtic in the ECL qualifiers.

Rangers look powerful under Warburton and look certain to rekindle their battles with Celtic but I wonder if too much time will have passed. Some attendances at the weekend just scraped over 4000! It looks to be heading for a league with such small teams the only large ones could only survive in the English pyramid system just like in Wales. This has been talked about before but when Glasgow had two giants of teams that wouldn't go anywhere outside of the EPL. The demise has occurred largely because of the collapse of Rangers and I can't see it getting better. Sides have cut wage bills as 1 or 2 large gates have been removed and as poorer players proliferate the league then the numbers drop further and that vicious circle is well mature now.

I'm not saying they should enter the English system at any level but are they dead as a footballing outpost now?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Is Scottish football becoming Welsh?

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Most countries take for example England have the same problem , one or two teams win the title almost every year , 23 seasons of PL footie and Manchester United have won it what 13 times, and a few others like Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal two or three wins here and there, don't think I will bet the farm on Watford winning it anytime soon, and most countries are the same .
Look at Spain , Barca or Real Madrid have won the title just about every year for the past 20 years, Milan , Juventus, or Inter have won the Italian league for the past 20 + years, and the chances of anyone else winning it more than once in the next 20 years about nil.
The Scottish FA got all it deserved by sending Rangers down to the depths of hell ,all they needed to do was fine them and send them down one division and in 9 months they would have been back and Scottish football would have been same old same old, but they blew it.
I would love to see a World League , the winner of the Prem Division in the top 20 countrys world wide would be entered, the fact they were not in their domestic competition would mean they could not win it the following year so as many as 19 different teams would have a crack at the World Title the following year, the TV revenue alone would be worth millions and the thought of seeing Manchester United or Chelsea playing Flamengo or Santos, down to Argy to play River Plate or Boca Juniors, would be fantastic stuff.
gillsfan1066

Postby Yoonsanha » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:29 am

The world has poured into new technology, we should always be learning a lot.
Yoonsanha

Postby phil38 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 pm

All i know is theres no real competition in these leagues, English leagues are just too dominant
phil38

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 am

I think if we were that good we would have won the European Cup more than 3 times this century, wouldn't we ??
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion