MLS and A-League

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

MLS and A-League

Postby bunburygills » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:04 am

America and Australia have been hosting many major teams at the moment and all the games are live on TV here.Teams playing here have been Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C. Man U.,Roma and Real Madrid.There have been 1-0,1-0 and 2-0 losses by our teams. Likewise, amongst other US games, I watched NY Red Bulls beat Chelsea 4-2. Chelsea more or less put out 2 different teams for each half but they included every first team player on their books whereas NY played a lot of their reserves and academy players. I'm beginning to think that the gap is definitely closing in the standard of play.I also hate to admit it but I think the MLS has jumped ahead of the A-League. What I'm saying is I think our best teams in US and Oz would be pushing for promotion from the English Championship and the very best US teams might even survive in the Premier league. What are your thoughts?
bunburygills

Re: MLS and A-League

Postby Garawa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:47 pm

It is closing but I feel at the this stage of the season players have literally just ended the previous campaign so these games are almost exhibition matches. It isn't until the late Champions League qualifiers start that it really ramps up a gear.

I guess the way to guage it is by the players. The Scottish Premier League has many players that came from League 1 level English clubs and that, apart from Celtic, appears to be that level. The MLS has many big names but most are nearing the end of their career. When Beckham left he barely played for PSG at all and the likes of Gerrard and Lampard will be big names but in truth won't go much more than 3 more years or so. One player who is taking it by storm is Bradley Wright-Phillips who scored dozens so that says it all! A bit like Heskey when he was the Diego Costa of the A-League!

For me, I guess the strength of the league is based more on how many young players clubs can bring through that have an impact on the national side as opposed to bringing in big name 35 year olds. The EPL may be questionable on that aspect but there is no question about the youth players they have.....it's just getting them into their first team!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: MLS and A-League

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:44 pm

We went to the Manchester United game here last week, hundreds ad hundreds of people, mainly Moms and Dads paying a small fortune for the red Man.U shirts ,then they play in white. Not the end of the world, but a bit disappointing for the kids that thought they would look like their "hero's" during the game.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion