Women's 2015 World Cup Thread

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Women's 2015 World Cup Thread

Postby bunburygills » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 am

Reading Gillsfan made me wonder if I'd slipped back 50 years. It reminded me of some redneck with a mass of hair, no teeth, no education who'd just escaped from the movie set of Deliverance. I was half expecting you to say you've got five wives but you keep them barefoot and never allow them out of the kitchen. I've been watching quite a bit of the World Cup, especially the Matilda's games, and I'm very impressed with the standard. It's improved a lot over the years and it's great to see it in huge stadiums with some very healthy crowds. It's also refreshing to see games with very little diving and virtually no feigning injuries. It's almost how the game was meant to be played. Goalkeeping has always been a week point in the women's game but there aren't many 6ft 5inch women around. Surely they should have smaller goals. Having said that, I'm very impressed with Hope Solo and the Columbian goalie. Promoting the women's game can only be good for football overall especially in countries where football isn't the number one sport, such as USA, Canada and Australia. I strongly believe women should be encouraged to play any sport and to do any job that men do. I love watching boxing as my second sport and watched nearly all the boxing at the Olympics and really enjoyed the women as well. Unlike 1066, I don't look at their wobbly bits and I really couldn't care less about their sexual orientation, they make up 50% of the world and thank God they do. So there's something else you can rubbish me about(in a friendly/comical way) . I look forward to your response and anyone else's that disagrees with me.
bunburygills

Postby Rimshot » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:59 am

Have to say I'm with Bunbury on this one...not that sure about the entertainment value of the England games but they are better then that 'good ol' boy' redneck post. Sorry 1066 even tongue in cheek it's just not funny.
Rimshot

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33234578

England's win against Norway has to be our best win of the tournament to date so far, England were losing 1-0 as Sloveig Gulbrandsen's near post header clipped the underside of the crossbar and went in, and I thought the defending for that corner kick was very poor, Steph Houghton equalised six minutes later and Lucy Bronze scored a sensational winning goal.

Norway drew 1-1 with Germany in the group stages and Germany are the best team and there expected to win The Women's World Cup, so that tells you how good Norway are, and just how good England's result was against Norway last night.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:36 am

OK first of all lets leave my choppers out of this conversation, there made of solid 100 year OAK, going to last longer than me, and as for keeping four women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen , YEAH, so whats the problem with that, their women ain't they what else are they supposed to be doing, well apart from getting my baccy and beer from the store and taking the 19 kids to school and of course picking up the welfare checks and my unemployment check, oh and the food stamps and clothing vouchers .
The stadium are 30 % full of screaming little 14 year old girls, who paid 50 cents to get in, and the TV cameras show the "full up side of the ground ", the other 2 thirds still have the refugees tents on them of the folks that are trying to get into the USA .
It's Canada, CANADA for Gods sake, living in Canada is like living in an attic bedsit reading a 3 year old magazine while below a party's going on that's called the USA, who's ever heard of anyone from the US emigrating to Canada ,the buggers flood across the border into the USA, Florida's full up with them, no one goes to live in Canada from the USA, unless their sports players who earn 500 trillion bucks a year.
Of course you guys like this type of football, you have been watching it all your lives , it's called The Gillingham Style of Footie, The Kings of KICK and RUSH, hell if they wore blue shirts you guys would think you were at Preiestfield.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Keep digging.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Don't need to dig, you know it's true.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:15 am

Well, I know you have a dislike for womens' football, Canada and apparently GFC's style of football too. In a recent poll comparing Canada to the USA, 76% of Brits favoured the former, so perhaps your disenchantment is mirrored. Canada has virtually the same GDP per head as the USA but lower unemployment, higher levels of happiness, only a third of your gun crime and no difficulty realising that the slave trade was a bad thing.

I have a brother who has lived in Canada for more than 40 years and a daughter just off to spend a year in the 'States so I have an open mind on the comparison. What I do know is that the dinosaur is not extinct in the USA.
Rimshot

Postby shoutingman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:01 pm

shoutingman

Postby bunburygills » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 am

Just watched the Germany v France game and loved it. The standard was very high with the better team, France, going out on penalties.I thought the technical standard was far higher than the games I saw the Gills play in when I went over two years ago.I also remember the last game I saw Gillingham play on tv, it was woeful. If you just want to watch so called perfection, then just stick with Chelsea, Arsenal and their like. If you want to support a team and have some passion then choose your team regardless of their ability on the perfection ladder.Personally, I love watching Perth Glory, the Socceroos, the Matildas and on the rare occasion they're on our tv, the mighty Gills. West Ham and Arsenal come after that lot. As you can see, I'm not a glory hunter and I'm proud of that. I would suggest the 5 to 6ooo that turn up each week at Priestfield would be of the same mind. Incidentally, my sister has lived in Abbotsford, Canada for 40 years and we spent 6 weeks over there three years ago and had a great time. In fact most Aussies think we have a lot in common with the Canadians and look on them with affection, after of course our very close bond to our country cousins, the Kiwi's. Go the Matildas.
bunburygills

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:22 pm

The was a great result for the women`s Team knocking the hosts Canada out on their own soil.I haven`t been watching,but you have to take your hat off to them.They have Japan in the Semi-Final now,so good luck to them.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

PreviousNext

Return to Football Discussion