Women's 2015 World Cup Thread

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Women's 2015 World Cup Thread

Postby Rimshot » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Just not funny, scraping the barrel and can't dig any deeper.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Can't go any deeper, what the **** are you talking about, there's another years worth of digging in this one, just watch , er no do me a favor, don't read if the words Gillsfan 1066 are along side the post, you sound as if your about to burst into tears now because I don't agree with you about this topic and I want to have a bit of fun with it.
I didn't realize someone had died and they had made you King of "Whats proper and whats not in 2015", think your letting the Left Wing Media take over your life.
Don't mention black people, don't say GAY, don't say anything about ssshhhh, women, Jesus ******* hell lighten up, whats up the elastic in your panties got to tight ??
OK Gillsfan1066, this is "The God of what you can say on here,"....... new rules for you young man .
You Gillsfan1066 can only make fun of Swindon Fans, BUT NOT if they are African, Portuguese or Welsh, NOT if their female, gay or left handed, and if their gay and left handed and female then any jokes about them and you will be stoned at midfield first home game of the season.
Hey King of whats proper and what's not.....your not Muslim by any chance are you ?? What , sorry God, no jokes about them either, oops my bad, Greeks, what about the Greeks ,those pompous asses deserve it don't they ??
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 pm

BIG PAY DAY for the US Women's winning World Cup Team , A WHOLE TWO MILLION DOLLARS , thats about ONE MILLION THREE HUNDRED POUNDS between like 23 players and all the coaching staff, whats that 40 grand each, and the German men's team won 38 million bucks last time round, that seems fair doesn't it??.
Loved the girls holding the medals, in those "Addicted to Love " little black numbers, good old Sepp B if he chose them, guess he did something right after all.
gillsfan1066

Postby bunburygills » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:35 am

I don't think I'll rise to the bait with 1066. I'm not sure if he's serious or just having a joke. Either way he fails miserably. I'm sure the vast majority of Americans are good people. Getting down to the game and the series, what a huge success. No one could have predicted that first 20 minutes of the final. Japan hadn't woken up and the USA were sensational. They just continued to improve game after game. Carli Lloyd played the game of her life. Another 53,000 at the stadium in Vancouver, this can only be good for football generally in the USA and all the countries where football is not the main game. It should help in all those countries where equality is ignored, where nothing is spent on women's sport. This even applies to England, the "home of football". I find it hard to believe that in a football mad country like England, their women's game has been so neglected. Australia has only recently started to get it's act together but has a long long way to go. To be fair though, football is not our main game, yet. This cup could quite possibly make it our top game for ladies which can only have a rub on effect for the men's game. Same in countries in Africa and in East Asia. It was great to see teams like Thailand and Cote D'Ivoire there. Sadly, I can't see the Middle East taking part in my lifetime. I also wonder why in these countries the women themselves don't support their own gender better. Half the world are women, why don't they show more loyalty to their cause? Anyway, I was pleased that Australia showed every single game live on free to air tv, and I for one thoroughly enjoyed it.
bunburygills

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:54 am

A well balanced opinion from Bunbury which is difficult to argue against 8-)
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:51 pm

I find it hard to believe that in a football mad country like England, their women's game has been so neglected

I don't think it has. I think the main "problem" as such is the strength and depth of clubs here that are the envy of countries around the world. We all have a clubs on our doorstep we can really get emotionally involved with and therefore leaves little room for much else. By linking with men's senior clubs there will be some fleeting interest from supporters of the main club but no more than that. However this world cup could be the catalyst to not only increase interest from the normal football fan but also could get more women watching the women's team which could potentially lead to increased gates at clubs like ours.

I believe it is no coincidence that the women's game seems to have really taken off in nations where the men's game is well behind that of other nations (and yes I include the USA in that category).
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby bunburygills » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:59 am

I don't quite agree there Garawa. Going into the finals, the favourites were Germany,Brazil, USA who at one stage,foolishly, were ranked 5th in the world, and Japan, the best team in Asia. France also played some of the best football at the games. I wouldn't call any of those teams weak, in fact I wonder where England would come in a league with those teams in the men's game. Throw in Scandinavia, Canada etc etc, I think it might be more to do with the way certain counties treat their women with more respect for their abilities. When you look at the Olympics for example and see how women can perform on the track, in the boxing ring and in any other physical sport, it stands to reason that with good training, they should be able to play a decent game of football. All it needs is the backing and financial support and less ridiculing from the likes of 1066 for it to succeed.
bunburygills

Postby Rimshot » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:48 am

I don't think 1066 represents any 'view'...certainly none that would be recognised outside a trailer park...but it's certainly going to be a long haul for the women's game in footballing countries, like England, where the money is so tied up in the top flight.

The USA is fortunate that it has developed 'soccer' as a major sport for girls without the competition from gridiron that exists for boys. In the UK we don't have enough active fan base to support our existing league/semi pro non-league clubs so unless the very top sides can get 'transfer' across from their existing supporter base to include the women's teams I'm not sure how they are going to flourish. I don't think a large TV audience will develop outside of that.

There were a few dire games in the WWC, some of them involving England, but it seems that the tournament as a whole was a success so good luck to the women's game and for that matter all sports actively played by men, women, kids of all persuasions and creeds - even reactionary American club golfers.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:20 am

If Women's soccer it is not on the TV it is not going to catch on. It will be like darts until the likes of the Crafty Cockney came along. I played darts from the age of say 12 first at home and then in the pubs, I bet I didn't spend more than 3 quid on buying darts, then once it came on the TV I was buying new flights ,new darts, pocket holders, tungsten tips ,you name it and I was buying it.
When do you think these womens games are going to be shown on TV, late at night like darts, Sunday mornings 9 o clock, perhaps the middle of May until the beginning of August, every other time the TV stations are booked solid with mens sport, sorry lady's .
Like it or not American Football is about to invade the UK, as many as five games will be played in England next year and there appears to be a very good chance that by 2018 when Spurs new stadium opens an American Football team may well be based in London, so good bye to the 9 am spot on a Sunday morning.
FIFA being FIFA told the world that over 1 .35 million people attended the WWC, in fact most stadiums were half empty , the opening 4 games in Montreal were watched live in the stadiums by a total , a TOTAL of 22,000, even though tickets were reduced to FIVE DOLLARS EACH by FIFA for a double header, two games for the price of one,two games for FIVE DOLLARS.,9,000 turned up to watch.
Australia and Nigeria, group D match in a Stadium that seats 36,000, the whole of one side of the ground was empty,there were at the most 18,000 in the stadium but thanks to FIFA, they say 35,000 saw that game, thanks to FIFA MAGIC. All first round games were double headers, buy a ticket and get to see two games, then they added the gates of the two games together and came up with yup you got it 36,000 people AT EACH GAME, when there was actually maybe at the most 18,000 in the stadium for each game.
FIFA says 1.35 million attended the 52 games, in fact it appears the total attendance was less than 1 million, actually around the 800,000 mark.
Womens football is going to be like womens golf , the crowds are great for the Womens Open, and especially the Solheim Cup where the little girls and over grown women who behave like little girls ,and men who want to be like overgrown women behaving like girls can scream and shout, paint their faces , wear silly clothes and wave flags, the rest of the season no one goes to watch a single event, there are more marshals at the game than people in the crowd the first two days of a three day womens event,
Good luck to the women who play soccer, go for it , but I am sorry ladies I feel by this time next month you will be forgotten and we won't see you again until the Olympics and then the 2019 WWC in France.
gillsfan1066

Previous

Return to Football Discussion