Bournemouth.

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Bournemouth.

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Well done AFC Bournemouth, just about a Premier Division team with gates of around 11,000, so Mr. Scally when will we see Gillingham up there with them ??
gillsfan1066

Re: Bournemouth.

Postby Rimshot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Good call 1066. We 're always hearing it can't be done but given the right investor and some ambition that clearly isn't the case, As I have said so many times it just needs someone who puts money in instead of taking it out.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 pm

There is one huge difference though, they stuck by a young manager who just suits the club perfectly. There have been bigger clubs than them investing bigger sums and got nowhere near! Sometimes the manager and players just work (like Dyche and co at Burnley) which is the crucial factor. I believe it is more than the money otherwise half the Championship would be banging on the door. Let your manager build for the long term and who knows what might happen.

Bournemouth's near bankruptcy helped galvanise the supporters behind the club. Let's say Scally started putting in millions (stop it!) it wouldn't be worth it as the support isn't there every game. It could be and if it was and we had a clear direction you could invest in the squad. Who knows, maybe Jed is our Eddie Howe?!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:12 pm

The support isn't there partly because of the way the club has been run. If you alienate everyone from the FA to the local media ( ask yourself why local coverage is so lukewarm), your marketing is abject and your Chairman has a reputation for cheapskate dealings and failed lawsuits, what else do you expect?

We have all fallen into this 'nothing will work here' reaction but if that's the case why go on at all ? The fact is that Scally has no other interest than his income so you'll never know while he is at the helm.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:53 pm

I do agree with you on this one. The lack of ambition can also go as far as just not doing anything other than "kids for a quid" to attract new fans. We heard a lot about this new guy brought in to generate sales and new income but that all went quiet. I agree Scally isn't generous with the funds and claiming we are aiming for the play-offs makes a mockery of that however I concede some of that is down to the lack of numbers which ties how much can be spent under the financial fair play rules as we have seen much bigger sides then us seemingly having less money to spend!

We are caught in vicious circle. Scally won't spend, the lack of support reflects that but that lack of support means that he won't if he was going to. I guess it needs a major change to break that cycle - either a new stadium, half price season tickets, promotion to the Championship or a new chairman. I think I know what you would prefer Rimshot :-D

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Congrats to Bournemouth.I know they have a rich Russian owner,but it`s good to see a new Team grace the Premier League.They have played the best football in the Championship,and dealt with the pressure well unlike Leyton Orient in League one with big wages.Eddie Howe has done a great job and at only 37 he has a great future in the game.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Rimshot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:38 am

Gary, I will freely admit that I view Scally as a thoroughly unpleasant man and someone who will never put GFC before his own interests. He is not alone among Football club chairmen in being unpopular as an individual, it's just that for most of them there is a real commitment to the clubs they lead. Scally never made any secret of the fact that his interest was in getting into a football club for business reasons; Millwall his first choice of course !

I fear we are stuck with him for literally as long as the club can afford his ludicrous salary and accompanying package. I'm so sick of reading his lies and misrepresentations; how any sizeable employer can get a Racism claim substantiated against them in this day and age beggars belief.I suspect it was as much his attitude as the facts of the matter that went against the club. I was talking to a group of football fans recently ( various clubs) and the only things any of them associated with us were sacking Martin Allen and 'being a racist club' Nice one Scally.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:42 pm

And hopefully not the "former Gill Delroy Facey" being found guilty of attempting to fix matches as well!

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:20 pm

To think that AFC Bournemouth had that -17 point deduction when Gillingham got promoted at Wembley in 2009, and look at both clubs now.

Eddie Howe has produced miracle after miracle at AFC Bournemouth and I think that AFC Bournemouth getting into The Premier League is even better then Wimbledon's rise from The Fourth Division to The First Division from 1977 / 1978 to 1986 / 1987, especially when you take into consideration that AFC Bournemouth needed a result on the final day of the season to preserve there Football League Status back in 2009.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Football Discussion