What does it grate so????

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: What does it grate so????

Postby Poshgill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 am

I've never disputed that Wimbledon was a failing club. However, the fact remains that if they had been unable to maintain their league position, then they should have been replaced by a non-league club from the Conference. The precedent was already there with Accrington, Newport, Workington, who had all failed and were not bought out and moved to other towns, but were replaced non league teams. We should all be concerned with the way in which Winkleman secured the Dons, as, personally, it is the rot setting in and could possibly lead us down the road of the US where moving franchises is common place but does very little for the grass roots of the game.
Poshgill

Postby Rimshot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Evidence suggests otherwise Posh, there has been no rush to emulate the MK template and in a country the size of the UK, with 94 existing league clubs, I can't see any immediate opportunities. MK had a rapidly increasing population with no league club to serve it and that set of circumstances doesn't apply very often. I don't think you can make relevant comparisons with the 'states as the geo-demographics are entirely different.
Rimshot

Postby Poshgill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:52 pm

I suspect that there has been no rush to emulate MK as I'm not sure that the football league or FA would allow it to happen again. As I said, even Winkleman acknowledges that the move wasn't done correctly. I agree that MK's circumstances were unique, however, not only was it at the cost of Wimbledon, but several local teams suffered greatly. The local non-league side went under and the demise of Rushden & Diamonds was hastened as fasns opted to watch MK rather than travel to Rushden. (MK wasn't the sole reason R&D failed to proper, but it certainly didn't help. Gary is quite correct though. MK and AFC Wimbledon are 2 entirely seperate teams with neither team having any history. The team that won the FA cup as Wimbledon no longer exists. Just as Royal Engineers or Old Corinthians do not exist.

Doesn't stop me (and many others in the football community) loathing MK though. They may be a succesful model of a well run club, but I do and will always resent them and their clueless fans.
Poshgill

Postby Rimshot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:47 pm

That's pretty irrational Posh, as for their fans, I don't know how you would make any kind of informed judgement. You work in MK, so do I. To me their fans are no more or less clued up than ours. The fact that they don't share your views might just be prejudicing your usually well-balanced outlook.

We've probably done this debate to death but I have met Winkelman, was impressed by him, also met their commercial team in the early stages of establishing the club here and ditto.

I'm a GFC fan but I like the way MK is run and I wish them well; unless they are playing us !!
Rimshot

Previous

Return to Football Discussion