DESPICABLE BEHAVIOUR OF CHELSEA FANS

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: DESPICABLE BEHAVIOUR OF CHELSEA FANS

Postby Elgrande » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 pm

I really don't understand the need for the sly little dig Rimshot. I replied to the post in a measured and honest way. The world is changing because anyone can film anyone at any time on their phones and tablets. The problem is that the media decide which bits are shown time and time again. Racism is not the sole prerogative of the white working class just take a look at Rwanda, the Kurdish enclave, many parts of India, Matabeleland or the joint antagonism between Japan and China.
I would never defend the actions of the Chelsea fans I was just commenting on how one incident is highlighted and others are ignored. Football is a soft target, today we have the West Ham fans fore**in song getting shown repeatedly, there are about 8 of them, but there were a good few thousand not behaving in this way. I remember the West Indies Cricket fans in the 80's being less than "friendly" at the Oval, but it was basically ignored as is the behaviour of the Pakistan Cricket fans.
Of course racism should be dealt with, but in an open, honest and even handed way.
Elgrande

Postby Rimshot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Its only a dig if the shovel fits in the hole. You take all my comments personally -this one was aimed fairly and squarely at the so-called mature men acting like adolescents out on a first visit to the pub.
Rimshot

Postby Elgrande » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 pm

If the comment is addressed to me surely it is personal? Maybe 12 months in Dalston would open your eyes!
Elgrande

Postby Rimshot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 am

It's a response to your post, that's why it mentions you. I'm sorry you can't see that addressing a comment to you doesn't mean you're the subject of it. However, you have readily identified with people who express racist views and appear to have a high degree of sympathy with them.

You also seem to assume that if i lived in Dalston I would have different views. I think that's unlikely - I lived in the Normanton area of Derby (overwhelmingly Asian in population) in the Sutton road area of Watford ( heavily Asian / Irish) and in Temple Fortune ( Golders Green, North London) where I was the only Gentile living in a block of 16 maisonettes.

Racism is the product of ignorance, fear and resentment. Look elsewhere for the cause of your disaffection.
Rimshot

Postby Elgrande » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:39 pm

I will always play devils advocate Rimshot because I so think that we have a problem with "forcing" people to accept other cultures when at the same time we don't expect the reverse. I have had friends / mates from diverse backgrounds and many of them think things have gone far enough. I just think the subjective replaying of certain incidents makes things look worse than they actually are. The UK is over tolerant and don't even expect people arriving in the UK to either learn English or be responsible for providing their own translator. Here is Spain there are signs up in hospitals, doctors and council offices saying that if you do not speak Spanish it is your responsibility to provide a translator. No one has a problem with that. In areas where there is a high percentage of North Europeans there is normally a certain level of English speaking staff, but not leaflets etc in 27 languages. It's the same with the benefits system, everyone Spanish or foreign have to pay into the system before they can take out and you must have a work contract or be a pensioner to qualify for health care if you are non-Spanish. Something like that would eradicate a lot of tension in the UK.
Elgrande

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:13 am

Whilst the principle of having to provide your own translator is sound in practice it will not always work. How can anyone be certain that the "translator" is really saying is what has been said/needs to be said if there is no form of control.

I know folk who work for the NHS and know that not all translation reflects the case in hand - this can have important consequences when dealing with illness and injury. By providing translators the NHS can be sure that what is said is accurate and thereby avoiding unthinkable consequences/litigation
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:38 pm

For those that "live here" it makes perfect sense but what about those that don't? When we holiday the only alternative to tripling the cost of the holiday by hiring translators would be to visit only English speaking nations or become fluent in French, German, Spanish, Italian and Greek at the very least. As the English abroad would contribute millions to the economy when they visit I'm sure they can provide a little help in the rare instance a problem occurs.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:57 pm

When we holiday abroad we should have insurance and in the hospitals / clinics who cater for those people it is provided. If you want to use the "NHS" then it is down to you!
Elgrande

Previous

Return to Football Discussion