That was close!

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

That was close!

Postby Garawa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm

So Port vale sign Lee Hughes then and having signed Chris Birchall it definitely looks as if Mr Pope is heading off, hopefully before Saturday! Martin Allen apparently spent all morning trying to sign Hughes but we were beaten to it.

Never thought I would say this so here goes. Congratulations Port Vale and thank-you!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: That was close!

Postby Kezz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Absolutely,I always wondered how we'd react to a player with serious history, I'm glad we don't have to find out.
Kezz

Postby mark8364 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 pm

It was rumoured in the summer that MA was trying to sign him! The forums went mental, even had a few fans saying they wouldn't go to the games while he was at the club! Would they have changed their minds if he had signed and we had made our good start? Well, we will never know! Personally, I would have lost a lot of respect for MA if he had joined us!
mark8364

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm

I guess I already knew what to expect, but after today I am even more pleased that he didn't sign for Gills. What a horrible man - deliberately trying to disrupt the game any way he could. Funny how once he was booked he behaved properly. If the ref had seen him slap or punch Barret in the first half he could easily have sent him off. Even if he had only booked him he would have gone later in the game.I honestly don't know what I would have done had we signed him - I would hate not to be at the games, but I would not have supported anything he did. Horrible fans as well, looking for confrontation with our stewards throughout; tearing up the netting and generally being unpleasant. I have no problem with those who behaved and sang and danced all the way through - that is good to see, but the one's on the edge were just horrible.
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:59 am

Keep looking at the video of Gills greatest goals this century , keep seeing this punk ass kids name crop up , what was it... Marlon King, man how we worshiped him every time he scored? If it was good enough for the good Lord to say let him without, cast the first stone, then guess that will do for me.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Lidbid - with you 100%. What a despicable man he comes over as.

Not withstanding the "baggage" he comes with my opinion is he is just such a vile man who appears to have no respect for anything and even himself perhaps; maybe a reputed wage of £4,k per week gives immunity from decency ?????
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Funny how 1066s post about Marlon gets ignored?
Elgrande

Postby Kezz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 am

Chicago, I think the difference being the crime, Marlon, when he was with us and went to prison, he'd been done for receiving stolen goods. He was perceived to be young and stupid. His later crimes, had he Been with us, may have been viewed differently, who knows. Hughes however, has done his time but continues to be vile, his retaliation to the crowds jeers may be a defence mechanism on his part, but he is a vile man. If he was with us, I know I couldn't applaud him as the Vale fans did.
Kezz

Postby Poshgill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 am

I seem to recall that the original debate was sparked when it looked like we were going to sign King on his release from prison. I think there is a fundamental difference between Hughes and King. Hughes made a mistake (albeit a terrible one that cost an innocent person their life) but he has done his time and has to live with that on his conscience for the rest of his life. Yes, he was being obnoxious on Saturday, but having a large crowd chant 'murderer' at him all game couldn’t be nice. I also think that his over exuberance was more to do with his trying to prove himself to his new team on his debut rather than anything more sinister. Interestingly he calmed right down after the booking.

The difference between Hughes and King is Hughes made a mistake. King is an objectionable recidivist. I was quite prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was with us and thought he was led astray by the wrong group of lads. He went to prison and you'd have thought he would have learnt his lesson from that. But no. He then breaks a girls nose after she had the temerity to slap him after he was touching her up. Not only a violent bully but a sex pest too. I was quite vociferous about King and stated that I would only attend one match if he played for Gills and that is so I could abuse him all game. I honestly believe that people like him should have had their Pro licence revoked. How many chances do you give a man? One. Yes, everyone can make a mistake. More than one? Definitely not. Especially as these people are supposed to be role models.
Poshgill

Return to Football Discussion