Time for INSTANT REPLAY is NOW.

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Time for INSTANT REPLAY is NOW.

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:20 pm

English PLS the number one watched football leauge in the World needs full instant replay tomorrow morning.
I don't particularly like Stoke, don't particularly like Man Utd,but today Stoke "won" at Old Trafford and came away with zero points. Man U's second goal was so off side I saw it from 4000 miles away,and Stokes" second goal" was clearly over the line but not given .
Instant replay should be instated tomorrow morning for all PLS games ,the game is to big to be officiated by a ref and 2 linesmen yards and yards from the ball..
gillsfan1066

Re: Time for INSTANT REPLAY is NOW.

Postby Garawa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Big decisions I agree with but the game has to stay intrinsically the same one kids can play in the street with 2 coats and a tin can. That is the beauty of it and too much technology creates two forms of the game, something we almost have already with goal-line technology. I am trying to imagine what it would be like after the game if every decision was clear cut and proved right or wrong and I think a lot of the social impact of it would go. Whilst it is infuriating at times, I would miss the lengthy chats and forums like this wouldn't be needed!!!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:49 pm

...and the last time you saw kids playing football in the street was ? Not an answer I'm afraid. Get the technology in now; it's so typical of football to be dragged along in the wake of other sports.
Rimshot

Postby Goalmouth » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I don't know about Stoke's 'goal' that was 'clearly over the line' because if it was, the goal line technology would have shown it to be a goal. In cricket, there is the check after a wicket is taken for a no-ball by the bowler overstepping, is it not possible for a tv ref to check retrospectively for offside when a goal is scored in football? I think the powers that be don't want to undermine the referee by taking retrospective action on an issue already dealt with by the official.
Goalmouth

Postby Rimshot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Both codes of Rugby and Hockey have adopted replays on key decisions without any negative effect on attendances or TV audiences. Sometimes the tension waiting for a decision adds to the fans' enjoyment.
Football needs to get on with it.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:45 pm

...and the last time you saw kids playing football in the street was ? Not an answer I'm afraid. Get the technology in now; it's so typical of football to be dragged along in the wake of other sports.

OK, perhaps I went a little too far down that road but basically I was comparing with a kick about in the park to the Champions League final for example, neither with a tin can!!! Football can be too free-flowing to keep stopping the game to check decisions. Many of the sports that use technology have teams or players taking "turns" so to speak whereas in football it can be a number of minutes before there is a natural break in play. Adding too much can create such a change that you end up with different "codes" of the game.....boxing, rugby, darts etc.

Other than goal-line technology what would everyone like to see??? Where would you draw the line??? There is a lot of subjectivity in football that is more clear cut in rugby with a greater amount of rules. That subjectivity is what causes the issues and removing it from the referee would mean we wouldn't need a ref at all on the pitch!!

The ONLY thing that can work in my book is to award each team 2 challenges that can only use if they put the ball out. For example an offside goal is scored or a handball in the area. A goal would see the ball out of play so the challenge could commence but the handball would need to play the ball out and if they prove unsuccessful then the game continues with a throw as normal. If successful it is pulled back but should play continue and a significant event occurs then the previous chance is gone. I can't see any other way than to constantly stop a game to check an event and over-rule a ref every time he gave a decision!

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 pm

I wished we could of challenged the officials at Sheffield United who didn't award Gillingham a free kick in the dying minutes of the match, and had a free kick been awarded Sheffield United wouldn't of scored late on.

I think any decision that results in a goal, onside / offside - goal / no goal is where technology needs to be used the most, goals change games and anything that affects that outcome is what technology needs to be used for, the tricky part is how much passage of play must go by before there is a cut off point, do you point out that a throw on not given in your favour in the third minute of the match lead to the opposition scoring four minutes later ???

And if this technology comes in then it needs to come in at all levels of the game, The Premier League, The Football League and Non League Football need the same levels of technology so they all get the benefits of instant replay / video refereeing, but I think we all know that if any video referee technology is going to come in then only The Premier League is going to benefit from it, meaning that The Football League and Non League Football are even further behind the top division in English Football.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

how much passage of play must go by before there is a cut off point

I think it can only work limiting sides to 2 challenges so it is not abused and only if the side appealing puts the ball out of play. For instance they appeal for a handball in the area which isn't given. The captain makes it clear to the ref he wishes to challenge and his side must put the ball out of play for it to be reviewed. If after say 30 seconds they haven't managed to do so the game continues. It could actually make it more exciting as the crowd urge the team to get the ball to see the review, a bit like waiting for the out decision in cricket.

Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I think its a bit odd to quote the free kick at sheffield utd (fan of mulligan)......it might well have been a free kick, but there are a lot worse examples out there, and the truth is we have won points on bad decisions. I would hate football to be stopped and started on instances like that. Truth is the team should have just got on and defended.

The technology should be used to show clear offside decisions, goal line stuff, and this diving and cheating (like the west ham player holding his face), like Cahill trying to mug people off.

I am not ashamed to say I have lost my love for football. It is about the most money, the best actors, and the best cheats.

West Ham have a fairly good start to the season so already the big money clubs are unsettling their players, Southampton stripped of so many players and probably a lot more in the summer. You can no longer build a squad, because the minute a player does well and your paying him 45k a week, the money men come in and offer 150k a week, which kinda makes it impossible for a player to be loyal.
Robpthegills

Return to Football Discussion