State Of The Game

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

State Of The Game

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:59 pm

State Of The Game is Trending on Twitter and if you want to read all of the comments then look for #stateofthegame on Twitter.

The paragraph below is what Peter Taylor has had to say........

Peter Taylor (Gillingham/former Eng U21s) - 3rd

“One of the problems is that there are big squads with a lot of foreign players in them not contributing enough. This is where we should restrict the number of foreign players in England as they do stop our own youngsters from playing. If you're Ross Barkley you will play for Everton because you are that good. But there are also late developers - Jamie Carragher.”

I cannot see a quota rule coming in because you need a quota for all European League's and not just one national league.

The money from The Premier League does not filter down through The Football League and Non League Football, John Barnes started out at Watford, Ian Wright at Greenwich Borough, Stuart Pearce at Wealdstone and David Platt at Crewe Alexandra, all four played in the top flight and they played for England as well.

Gregg Dyke has suggested a fifth division which will include Premier League B Teams which gives youngsters more game-time between the ages of 18 and 21, personally I think changing the loan system would be better then Premier League B Teams, but Premier League Sides clearly want a competitive division for there youngsters to play in because The Under 21 League is meaningless and not giving our young players competitive matches to play in.

Kevin Kilbane has spoken about the money we pay our young players and how players at 16 - 17 can earn £20,000 a week and think they have made it, perhaps there should be a wage cap on players under the age of 21 and more incentive based contracts.

There is no easy solution to getting more English / British Players into Premier League First Teams, perhaps playing abroad (which has been mentioned a lot today) is something more of our English Players should do and give themselves a personal and cultural experience.

I have posted a few scenario's, but what does everyone else think about The State Of The Game ???
fan_of_mulligan

Re: State Of The Game

Postby Garawa » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 pm

A quota just can't work as it would breach European working laws if all the players were from EU countries, it already looks illegal as it is. It would be like saying only 3 black players allowed per team. Not only that but quotas would make English players even more desirable thus inflating their prices further and possibly freezing them out of the majority of squads other than the top 3 or 4.

The loan market has to be the answer as there can be no better competitive experience than battling for a side at the top or trying to avoid relegation in front of 6,000 noisy fans. Perhaps the FA should task Alex Ferguson with the role. He didn't seem to have any trouble finding plenty of English talent and I am certain he didn't pay silly money until they really made it big. Wage caps have got to come in somewhere as the football is secondary now. Critics say the best players would go elsewhere but that doesn't seem to have affected German sides and if they did, there would be more room for English players!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 am

I think the whole situation is completely crazy, I read that Qatar is sending scouts all over the world to find young talent for the 2022 World Cup, 18/20 year old's that have no connection to that country at all, but will become model citizens of aforementioned country at the stroke of a pen,and play for said country in the 2022 World Cup.
What happened to the bit about having a Granny or Aunt or what ever that was born in that country ??
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 am

Sadly money takes priority over principles
CadburyMan

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:10 pm

give me a hundred pounds cadbury and I will vehemently agree with you :)
Robpthegills

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:50 am

Rob - never thought you had principles ;-)
CadburyMan

Return to Football Discussion