Minutes silence vs applause.

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Minutes silence vs applause.

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 am

Silly things seem to bug me but we had a minutes applause yesterday for the 2 murdered police officers. Surely that should be a silence, they were taken too soon and people are mourning their loss. The applause should be for those who have died after a ripe old age to celebrate what they had given. We seem to get them the wrong way round lately.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Minutes silence vs applause.

Postby Poshgill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 pm

completely agree Gary. Respect is a funny thing. I suppose if people are payingtheir respects then that is the important thing. However I think that the silence has been ignored of late. it is popular to applaud. (I thing George Best was the first). I don't like it though. Next thing you know they'll be clapping at Rememberance Sunday!
Poshgill

Postby brb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I am a great believer in respect and that everyone shows or pays respects in their own individual way. However, I sometimes feel quietly against about applying mass respect moments via applause or even a minutes silence in such situations. It just feels so unintentionally insincere to me. My heart and thoughts may or may not be with certain events but it does not mean that I want to openly express that via prearrangement through gatherings such as football matches.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby Mooke » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm

I would say that this should be a minutes silence. Am I right in thinking that 2 mins was introduced for the Great War? 2 murdered officers is tragic, but not the Great War. But we should observe a minute.
Mooke

Return to Football Discussion