Division Three North and South

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Division Three North and South

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:41 pm

After our win against Colchester United on penalties, Me and Diane spoke with Malcolm Steadman after the game and spoke about some the traveling we have done to the likes of Sheffield United, Oldham Athletic, Barnsley and Notts County, and Malcolm's response was that he felt that League One and League Two should become Division Three North and Division Three South to cut on the traveling costs.

It seems highly unlikely that Division Three North and South will come back, but would anyone on here want to see Division Three North and South make a comeback ???
fan_of_mulligan

Re: Division Three North and South

Postby Garawa » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Personally I wouldn't. Add the conference in with League 2 as a North and South (5 league divisions) and it might be workable!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Well looking at our record over the last 50 years I guess we would have spent all that time in Division 1 South, apart from our trip to the Championship (oh footie Gods what a wonderful time that was) so I don't see that it would really matter.
Instead of playing Port Vale 372 times we would have played Southend or Oxford 372 times, whats the difference,seems to make a lot of sense to me to cut down on travelling, more so for the fans than even for the team.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm

You could keep The Premier League, Championship and League One as they are now and because four clubs get relegated from League One then you could have the teams from The Conference National and League Two in a Division Two North and South and then teams promoted from Conference North and Conference South will go into the newly formed Division Two North and South Divisions, Two Teams will be promoted from Division's North and South into League One and then you could even increase the promotion / relegation spots between Conference South and Division Two South so that three teams get promoted / relegated between both division.

The Football Pyramid could look like this....

Premier League 20 clubs
Championship 24 clubs
League One 24 clubs
League Two North 24 clubs and League Two South 24 clubs
Conference North 24 clubs and Conference South 24 clubs - I would expand both these divisions from 22 to 24 clubs and have three clubs from each division promoted into League Two North and League Two South.

After that you have got the existing Non League Football Pyramid, the tricky part is where do you draw the line for northern and southern clubs and even if you do have a northern and southern division, there are still long trips to Plymouth Argyle, Torquay United and Exeter City - I am not for one minute suggesting that this will come in, but some clubs may opt for relegation into a regionalized league as they save on travel costs rather then going out of business altogether.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:59 pm

That would be easy to be honest, teams would simply shift between the 3 divisions that are the same level as there would be little difference, a bit like Chatham Town moving from the South to the North of their league. Their issue is that they spend most of their time playing teams in Essex paying the toll fayre every other weekend but that wouldn't be so relevant in the midlands vs East of England for example.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Premier and Championship divisions stay the same, the fact the pyramid is involved means I guess we have to include Egypt in the mix, which will tick off the Greeks and the Turks, so they have to be invited, the French being the whiny bunch they are will have to get involved and the fact the Germans are the only ones with any money to run the dam things means they need to be in it, oh and of course the Swiss, so like I say, keep the Premier and Championship Division as it is, and then have a North and South division each consisting on 18,465 teams based on an imaginary line being drawn from Northern Ireland to Turkey, simple.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion