What fun

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

What fun

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Watching the sports news on Fox what fun it all is. Scottish football must take the cake, teams advising fans not to go to games, managers selling thousands more tickets than the grounds capacity, some one from Rangers management saying something about anything every single day no matter how stupid they sound.
Dear old Boris saying the Olympic stadium will be used for SOMETHING next summer, if it is not sold as a football stadium. Dog park perhaps, allotments, fill it with water and let people fish off the roof ? Did no one know that we were getting the Olympics when the new Wembley Stadium was being built ? Why was Wembley not used for the opening and closing ceremonies and the athletic events?
Leyton Orient or what ever they are called this year want to ground share with West Ham if the Hammers get the ground. Lol, what will Orient do play in the parking lot ? imagine the atmosphere inside that stadium when 5000 people turn up for home games in a 60,000 seater, helloooooooooooooo over thereeeeeeeeeee, guess everyone one will sit in the first three rows.
Bristol City and Coventry going down the tube, but Man U. Man C ,and Chelsea looking to spend millions as soon as the transfer period opens.
Half the athletes who were awarded medals at the games now appear to have been stripped of them, I wonder if someone actualy knocks on your door in the middle of the night and says "Hey you, lets have that medal wot you won back" in their best Monty Python voice? I guess everyone says I have lost it and hides it in the attic till they can sell it on EBay in a few years.
Thank goodness there is cricket.
gillsfan1066

Re: What fun

Postby Rimshot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 am

Genuine question 1066, is there any cricket to watch live in your neck of the woods? I seem to remember reading that the first ever cricket international was between USA and Canada (?)
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:05 pm

US Cricket team compete in the ICC qualifying matches , almost made it one year into the "big show ", think it was the one day game,after beating Bermuda and Canada they lost to Aussies and NZ.
Believe it or not I was told once that cricket was so popular here back in the day, the President of the United States is called the President because someone said Cricket Teams have a President so why shouldn't the country ?
Large Indian and Pakistani population in the Chicago area, one street on the North side of town about a mile long,100% Indian and Pakistani stores .
Several TV stations carry cricket live ( 200 bucks a month), but me and an Indian buddy go to this scruffy little resteraunt where the cab drivers hang out 24/7 and a great meal of rice and chicken, salad, naam, couple of beers cost less than a McDonald's hamburger meal ,( strange there are so few pigeons in that area) and either watch the games live on the big screen , or watch the replays on a TV station that re-runs the whole days play in about 2 hours. No adverts, no stoppages for end changes ,lunch ,tea, etc.
Real good fun but I could do with a bit of extra support if your ever in the area, feel sometimes that I am taking on the whole damned Indian subcontinent, lol.
English wicket goes down 27 dam cabby's shouting and" hooting" at me, England takes a wicket, what the.... no ball no way was that out, lol.who's this dam umpire chappy?, lol
In the summer you can normaly find a knock about cricket match going on somewhere in the parks, West Indians, Pakistanis, Indian the occasional English guy,(I have been told by older members of the colonies that I have a remarkable resemblance to a certain MR. W C Grace (and not in the batting department), who's to argue against that? Crowd of four Americans standing around watching in complete amazement.
Cricket , cricket ,dam rite we have cricket lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Cheers,nice to know. I once played in a game on the dustbowl that constitutes the cricket pitch in Corfu Town. Interesting variation in turn and bounce !! Also played in a league match in Leicestershire one Saturday on the artificial strip where the covering had been stolen and we just used the concrete base. The ball lasted about six overs before it was reduced to a red pulp, by which time the batsmen were in much the same condition. This was before arm guards, helmets etc.
Ah, cricket, lovely cricket.
Rimshot

Postby Snackboyslim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm

You'll both be enjoying this test match then gents.

Bleary eyed and tired due to 3am start but well worth it.

Love it.
Snackboyslim

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:32 pm

I played cricket in LA in 1979. Proper game, all the equipment was first class, only problem I had was the artificial pitch which was very bouncy, and a tall West Indian fast bowler who took a liking to my head! No helmets in those days, so don't remember too much about the rest of the day!!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:07 am

Sounds like me and life.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion