Does headering the ball cause brain damage?

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: Does headering the ball cause brain damage?

Postby Garawa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:14 pm

shoutingman wrote:Queue? Or Cue? :D

Definitely mis-queue. When you have spent ages in a line busting for a pee only to realise you have been standing in the ladies line, ha ha!!!! I did mean cue, almost made my own pet hate pointless!!!

As for Elgrande's point I think he is spot on when you think of some recent players who have passed at a grand age (and others still living at an even riper one). They played when the ball was hardest without any effect it seems and this seems to be an isolated case. It cannot stand.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:29 pm

But do we not now live in a much more enlightened society; we have the power to not make the perceived mistakes of the past. I would agree that the research is far from complete but surely once a risk is identified it is negligent to not take steps to eradicate it.

As for the smoking ban in pubs I can say that I know far more people who now pay visits than in the pre-ban days. Brewing industry has been found out for the high prices charged and have looked for a for a way out and so many people have been so stupid as to fall for the smoking argument.
CadburyMan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30303721

Dr Ann McKee is a Neuropathologist at Boston University and she has warned that children's brains can be damaged by heading footballs at an early age.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:01 pm

fan_of_mulligan wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30303721

Dr Ann McKee is a Neuropathologist at Boston University and she has warned that children's brains can be damaged by heading footballs at an early age.

Children`s brains are still developing,so I can see why she says that.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34790614?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Scotland's team doctor believes football authorities should look at changing the rules of the game to prevent concussion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34780549

The United States Soccer Federation has outlined plans to stop children aged 10 and under heading footballs.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby bunburygills » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 am

I think taking heading out of junior football is a great start. 10 could be too young, I'd start heading from at least under 14's. I used to coach kids from u8's to u 16's and the number who obviously hated heading was probably in the majority. There's nothing worse than seeing players duck under a ball deliberately but if a youngster can't do it, he can't do it. Take it out the game till they're 14. There is something worse in the game, watching players refusing to use their wrong foot. To think there are players being paid good money yet they still have a foot that's used only for standing on.
bunburygills

Postby lidbid46 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:30 am

Take it out of the first division as well; we look much better when the ball is on the ground and we won't have to watch great lumps like bury had on Saturday!
lidbid46

Previous

Return to Football Discussion