Martin Allen out Stuart Pearce in!

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Martin Allen out Stuart Pearce in!

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:13 am

He brought in Cody,Bayo,Whelpdale,Lee,Lawrence,Frampton,Kedwell,Martin,all good quality.Not once in Hessy's two seasons did we look like being top 7

I agree Steve, but I believe Martin Allen's players have cost more once wages etc are taking into account. It's not just on the field either, he spent a fortune inside the stadium when the previous season we were asking for donations of pencils!! :P I think under Hess it was a couple of bad runs that ruined each campaign, Bradford were promoted with less points than Hessy secured the season before. Thanks to our start a similar bad run at the end of last season (continuing this season) didn't affect us, it really felt like we were the leading car in a race out of fuel creeping towards the line and had Port Vale not done the same we would have finished second.

What I cannot work out is if he made a name of saving clubs (especially in League 1) why haven't we won yet? He can come in and make a team win in their first game but not us in 8 and if were 8 games from the drop we would be doomed!? We should have held on at Crawley but we sounded like we was always going to throw it away. The same tactics from last season are being used this season and we have no alternatives to it available.

This all sounds critical and it isn't meant to be, just trying to figure out what is puzzling me! He did a good job last season as he had the backing and it isn't time to change now but things have to get better and not just from the players!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:50 pm

I didn`t know Allen had brought stuff for the Stadium,what did he buy? I agree we stumbled across the line,for some reason I don't know why we did.Our great start is what won the League as we had that cushion.I still feel he deserves time to turn it around.We need to change our style a bit as we hoof it too much,when we played it on the ground on Saturday we looked better.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

There are tons of bits of perspex with the club crest on and he had rooms repainted with the club crest on the wall as well. Apparently, he also bought mats with the badge on but had to get them from abroad at great expense because he couldn't find one locally!!!! When it came to the giant flag we were meant to get, he had spent the money and was told no, this before he bought any players in! ha ha!

Personally I think you do need those type of things to instill an identity into the players but it was very surprising when compared to before when asked people to help for free!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:24 pm

They do look nice,but it must have cost a fortune.Yeah I remember reading before if the Club could borrow stationary etc.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Well that says it all! We need more midfielders and he transfer lists 4 including 2 he purchased in the summer. Bonkers!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 am

Jesus you guys, how ungrateful can you be ? He purchased Perspex, each piece of Perspex GUARANTEED to bang in 5 goals this season and see us into the Championship Division. What the hell do you guys want, GLASS ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Anyone really believe decisions about playing strength and wage bill are made by the manager ?
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Maybe not but I don't believe Scally would have put those 4 up for transfer!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:24 am

Playing strength yes, wage bill somewhat. Think M.A. is given a guide line, told not to look at players who want more than 47 quid a week and not to spend more than X number of pounds each year on the first team players.
Then with a bit of luck he will sit down at the bar one night with Scally, and the Scall Myster will say say guess what M.A., Mrs. S. has found another couple of million Dirham under her mattress, go out and get some players, SAVE US ,SAVE US from the drop into the dark depths of Division 2.
gillsfan1066

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm

We invited teams onto us for most of the end of last season. After the Oxford away game we seemed to defend more often than not inviting teams onto us and
then grabbing the odd winners.

We seem to be doing the same this season. The difference is we are now in Div 1. The opposition strikers and midfielders are of a higher quality but we didnt improve
the quality in our defence. We just assumed the same back 4 could do it again...Why?

For a team that is supposed to be super fit we seem to be conceding a lot of goals, but we will if we keep inviting teams onto us and then just hoofing it out and hoping it
doesnt even come back.

I still do not see the Logic in not leaving any players whatsoever up front when the opposition has a corner, I think you should always leave someone up there.

We should definately give Allen more time, however it is strange that he now wants better quality players, we got rid of a Championship quality player in Jack Payne.
Robpthegills

PreviousNext

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION