Martin Allen out Stuart Pearce in!

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Martin Allen out Stuart Pearce in!

Postby Garawa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:06 am

The narrow midfield is never going to work looking at some of the flying wingers in this division. It's all very well saying the full backs can push up but they are spending too much time defending, are we really saying Fish and Martin were better at getting forward than Whelpdale and Weston? Play 4-4-2 at least and I am sure Whelpdale would be back to scoring super goals from outside the area and Weston doing the attacking. In a narrow 3 they have to stay solid instead and now Whelps has been transfer listed because of those tactics!

I still don't get how Gregory and German, who hardly set the side alight, won contracts in the summer and 6 games after deemed surplus to requirements. Unless Mr Scally signed them, that was all the managers fault I'm afraid. It looks like it was a case of almost settling for any player instead of the ones that could do the job required.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Martin Allen out Stuart Pearce in!

Postby Garawa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:17 pm

This is slightly more worrying for me. I didn't go, I am not in the football game either so really I have no ability to criticise at all but every Gills fan everywhere seems to be concerned about tactics and yet Martin Allen has said they were right!

“It was hard to take, the players put in a fantastic performance and we had a game plan to set out and frustrate them,” he said. “We conceded a goal in the first minute after giving the ball away but after that there were numerous opportunities for us to score.......There was no way that we could leave ourselves open and the areas they were weak we exploited them."

“We added some pace and some athleticism and tactically we changed the way of playing so we wouldn’t get cut open or passed through......We restricted them to very few chances and overall I thought it was a good performance and if they keep playing like that we will be alright.”

“I thought we played really well. We had good pace in our team, good tenacity, good organization and tactically we got it right."

www.kentnews.co.uk/sport/gillingham_our ... _1_2672829
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Previous

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION