Have to be happy really

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Have to be happy really

Postby Rimshot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 pm

The club must take the lead, not the fans. Its as simple as that. You can present all the arguments you like about the history of attendances, the fact is we took 35000 plus to Wembley against Wigan and failed to capitalise on that outstanding marketing opportunity. In the immediate wake of our win, there should have been the biggest campaign in the club's history via local radio and press, email, PR, personal appearances etc etc. We had an immense groundswell of goodwill and attention which we wasted.

Instead what we had was a shallow round of self-congratulation from Scally and, I believe, the new Bentley was ordered.
The success should have triggered a drive for sponsors, corporate box holders, merchandise sales and it just didn't happen.

Shrewsbury saw a slightly less glittering opportunity but still something that many club chairmen would give their eye-teeth for. The man at the helm of our club is certainly an opportunist, sadly his ambitions do not extend beyond the portals of his desert retreat.

Good results on the pitch should generate success off it. With the exception of one man's bank balance that is not the case at GFC. Now we face a season struggling to survive again, probably with the result that the football will be dour and the gates will actually fall.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Not good news coming out of the Club this afternoon...German,Gregory,Lee,and Whelpdale have been made available for Transfer :? .

http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/n ... 51332.aspx
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Two he signed in the summer. We need to add to the squad not replace them causing instability. I don't get that I'm afraid!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 pm

If we need to get rid before we can bring Players in,why did we not do this before the Transfer Window closed? For me German,and Gregory are replaceable,but you cannot replace players like Lee and Whelpdale without spending money.Also the timing of this is not good two days before we play Coventry.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:58 am

Agree, both German and Gregory have proved to be a disappointment, ( gentlemen you are not as good as you think you are, and you will learn that playing at Dover for a couple of hundred bucks a week next season), as for letting the other two go, what the hell are you thinking ?
Why do I think the big cheese has called M.A. from the camel racing in Dubai giving him an ultimatum, as in ,win NOW or else ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 pm

I wonder if this is Charlie Lee style "kick up the bum" designed to improve their workrate. That said a lot of Whelpdale's lack of impetus is down to being asked to play a less attacking role and that wouldn't make sense putting Lee on the list again. If those 4 leave better players must cost more unless the clubs agree a good deal. If so, we must ask an awful lot of Dack and Weston as they would pretty much be the only midfielders left!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Previous

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION