Time to concentrate on the league.

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Time to concentrate on the league.

Postby Garawa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Looks like you enjoyed yourself more than anyone who went Rob!

Massive gulf in class, even Bristol City showed that with their forward two players we could never afford to sign. Not a surprise this start, a vert tough run that will continue with Brentford, Swindon and Sheffield United and I just hope we aren't so far behind by that point. What is disappointing not scoring as I felt we had enough quality in that. First time since 2007/8 we haven't scored in opening 3 games and have conceded more compared with that season too.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Goalmouth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Sorry Gary, there may be a gulf in class but you can still try and compete. There seemed only a few players showing any fight this afternoon. I don't know how MA can think of offloading Lee when the midfield is so lightweight. Gregory is too slow and continually caught in possession or plays his colleagues into trouble. Dack and Whelpdale improved it when they came on but there is also nobody who seems capable of creating anything for the forwards. The first goal was down to the 2 centrebacks failing to pick up Griffiths and giving him too much time. It was downhill from there.
Goalmouth

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 am

Don't think I have ever bet against Gillingham before ,but that was the easiest few hundred bucks I ever made, what a disappointing result.
Brentford , Swindon, Bristol City, Crawley and Coventry , could be sitting level with the same number of points as Coventry by the time we play them if we don't learn to score.
gillsfan1066

Postby Robpthegills » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:24 pm

What is most disappointing to me is that MA said we lost to a very strong Wolves team. No we didn't. We lost to a load of kids. The same kids who got beat by Morecombe in the week.

My friend tells me Wolves were superb in possession and fluid with the ball and we were outclassed, so I accept Wolves played well and we apparently played bad so why dress it up about
a strong wolves team.

We need a midfielder who knows how to link the front men.
Robpthegills

Postby mark8364 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Rob, stop talking bollocks...They werent all kids...loads of experience in that wolves team...Stearman, sako, ricketts, the keeper, doyle (a 7 million pound signing) even bathh, the young lad at centre half has 100 league games under his belt...davis 52 games +

I was there yesterday and one thing is for sure....Cody a waste of wages in league one
mark8364

Postby CadburyMan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Have to say I agree with Mark on most aspect; I thought 4 - 0 was rather flattering for us against a very competent and well balanced Wolves outfit who were never put under any pressure.

Not sure that I agree with Mark's comments on Cody; he wasn't given any service whatsoever so questions must be asked of the midfield, not that there was much evidence of a midfield, and Kedwell
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:30 pm

I think Martin Allen joked about not knowing one of their players (Sigurdsson) which is highly doubtful. He appeared shocked when told he cost £2.5m and he had previously said about Doyle being £7m. Those two alone would cost more than all of our squads since the turn of the 90s so that much more quality-wise will always hurt you. Of course we are capable of beating Premier League sides like Bradford did but only with a strong midfield and we have anything but that. Unfortunately that looked the same last season and the real disappointment was that we over-compensated up front without sorting it.

I do wonder what Kedwell might do in a creative midfield role with a pacey German and Cody up front. Put Lee/Linganzi in with him and play Whelps and Dack wide. We need to stop the holding midfield role as it is making us far too narrow and at this level, fullbacks pushing up and getting caught out is given the centre-backs far too much to do!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:20 pm

lol point taken mark..

Unfortunately as I could not be there I could only listen to what Sky told me. Sky said wolves were playing an in experianced side with a lot of kids.

Cody wont do anything in this division unless we feed him. For 3 games now we have not given our front line any real service. The best chance against colchester was speculative by Kedwell.

We all knew we had a tough start to the season. Brentford and sheff utd are tough games coming up, but we wont do anything untill we stop just lumping the ball and try to feed the strikers.

In my opinion the problem is not Cody it is Let me give away a 1000 free kicks Akinfenwa
Robpthegills

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:12 am

"In my opinion the problem is not Cody it is Let me give away a 1000 free kicks Akinfenwa"

Has to be his fault ??? How do you work that out Rob ? He didn't even play at the Moulinex on Saturday
CadburyMan

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I just think Akinfenwa is a bad signing Cadbury. Not blaming him for wolves, but I think his signing has dictated how we are choosing to play.
He just continuously gives away free kicks, I don't think its even his fault half the time but whether it is or isn't he gives them away.

I would suggest that if you checked most peoples NC league most people would have had us down as a loss to Wolves. So its not all that bad. The
Colchester game was disappointing but then we will win some unexpected games.

The cup defeat is kinda irrelevant as we often do not proceed to far in that.

My concerns are Akinfenwa which I think is a poor signing and the midfield lacks a bit of quality in the supply line and when Charlie Allen is back fit
he will probably walk into the team and he was div 2 at best certainly not div 1 in my opinion.

I thought we would struggle at the start of the season but that we would end up safe. Nothing has changed my opinion.
Robpthegills

PreviousNext

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION