Millwall concerns

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Millwall concerns

Postby Garawa » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:36 am

There was a massive gulf between the sides yesterday and more worryingly the side looked far removed from what we saw last season. I have read on some forums that the result was expected given that they were Championship but we have held our own in the past, yesterday however was awful! Legge and Barrett have never looked so outclassed and it was back to long balls again. In fact, there were about 20 occassions in which we sent long balls from the defence to Cody but instead they went straight to Forde in the Millwall goal. Linganzi and co barely got a touch. This improved slightly in the second half but by 27 minutes we were three down (could have been more) when all last season we conceded 3 only three times in 90 minutes. It wasn't as if it was a trial side either in that first half; Nelson, Fish, Martin, Barrett, Legge, Gregory, Dack, Linganzi, Whelpdale, McDonald & Kedwell would be a lot of people's choices to start.

This sounds a bit negative but there were not a lot of positives for the first time under Martin Allen, completely different to Ipswich on Tuesday. Let's hope we get more to shout about this Tuesday. However it doesn't help when the manager says he cannot sign any players as Scally is not contactable on holiday and we still haven't appointed groundsmen after both are leaving with the season just 2 weeks away! I think we will get there, we might be reliant on loans yet again but I don't think we will be promotion contenders unless the team picks up a lot!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Millwall concerns

Postby mark8364 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Didnt we go 3-0 down in 18 mins last season against Watford...its what happens from 3rd august that we should worry about...automatic promotion again
mark8364

Postby Garawa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 am

I was referring to the normal season really. I haven't seen us play like that for a very long time! Let's hope that gave Martin Allen a shock and shook the players a little!

Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 am

I never really worry about pre-season, no points on offer, nothing resting on the results. As for automatic promotion again, we need to stop having too high expectations as we will start to become the home of the moaning men again. Consolidation should come first and then kick on if we can. We are now at our historic level and if we do get promoted again we won't be able to compete financially again!
Elgrande

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 pm

I hope to be proved wrong but I think we are a million miles away from being promotion contenders, unless we sign some players that are awesome.

This is not a negative, it is just my expectation that we will consolidate and if we finish in the top 16 I will be happy. That will mean 8 teams below us which means
hopefully we will not be fighting relegation.

Lets see what the loan market brings us.

I think that expectation levels are far too high this year.

Whoever is the manager of Wolves should get them promoted. With another 20 million pound parachute payment and crowds of over 20,000 a One eyed, 3 legged rabid rat should be able to take them up. You then have another 5 or 6 good teams with reasonable budgets and then the rest of us.

I will see it as success if we are not in a relegation battle. After that everything else is a bonus
Robpthegills

Postby Garawa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I have read some utter rubbish in my life but that is ridiculous Rob! I mean mate, not a rabied one as it would have been removed under public safety concerns, lol! ;-)

From what I saw we are a lot further away than I thought, I really thought Legge & Barrett could cope with most forwards but they were ran ragged. I don't think the midfield helped. The general understanding of all around me was that Linganzi is a defensive midfielder and yet he was played in front of Gregory playing as a holding midfielder! Dack and Whelpdale also played their time on opposite sides to what they played last season.

Hopefully (and its a shame to see him go because we could have used him Saturday) with Lee and Birchall freeing up some cash we can get a couple of central midfielders that can give us some solidity and not ones that have come on trial having been released from lower league clubs or from 3 clubs in 2 years, that really doesn't look very good at all!

Garawa

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Oh such pecimism Gaz.
Let's not forget, it's trial and error pre-season. A time for tinkering, shuffling the pack as it were. More to the point, were we not playing a team that just a few weeks ago were 2 divisions above us??

Yup, we have to step up a division in class.. Millwall are well above that class thus their current status. We'll win well, we'll lose some shockers, but as you all have touched on, a decent consolidation season will do us niceley. I feel if we get back to back promotions (I don't think), It could be a disaster for us. Build on what we've got, there will be some bad decissions along the way, then in 2-3 years time...... who knows?? Difficult I know for us all to accept, as last season was a dream.. but patience is needed from us all.

Been while since posted btw.. moved house..needed to get online, got nice big garden now for my son.. currently typing this in said garden, 28c with a beer in my hand.. decent summer at long last and on holiday for 2 weeks. Happy days!!!

Love to all.
Snackboyslim

Postby Garawa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Took the thermometer out in the shade in the back garden and it was 30.8, a lot warmer than at lunch-time and took us by surprise!

I like to think I am more realistic Jezz rather than pessimistic. We were set up pretty much how everyone expects us to line up, the only notable absence from the current squad being Weston and yet we just didn't play.....at all....in the first half, we would have lost to anyone. Recently our record against sides like those was very good. We went to Championship Bristol City first game of the season and won and we performed well against Ipswich and were unlucky to lose to a last gasp goal. I am sure we won't perform like again and I am glad it happened now so it can be sorted out.

PS Snackboy, don't forget to get the Noircat predictions in, only 4 days left!

Garawa

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm

All done Gaz-Noircat league.

In fairness mate, you did see us play so really I have no argument there. Glad we did ok against Ipswich though.

Catch up soon.
Jez.
Snackboyslim

Postby Garawa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 pm

I thought we were better than them, perhaps the shock of going 3 down within half an hour mashed the brain a little! Roll on tomorrow night to put it right, or get humiliated!!!

Garawa

Next

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION