Cody's Back!

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Cody's Back!

Postby Garawa » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Hardly a secret and I don't think there was a Gills fan anywhere that didn't expect this but finally Cody McDonald signs for the Gills! Amazingly, it appears we got him for free and was perhaps why the saga dragged on a bit! Also it appears today that the club gave up negotiating with Deon Burton and withdrew the contract offer so the huge array of strikers we looked like having now makes a bit more sense. Feels a little like going back in time reuniting him with Bayo from 2010/11 but the other backup options we have are pretty decent!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Cody's Back!

Postby Goalmouth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Clearly something I wasn't expecting, particularly after reading more than once he was training at Shrewsbury. :)
Goalmouth

Postby Garawa » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 pm

That was a bit weird wasn't it, there must have been closer clubs (like Northampton) ;-)
Wonder if it was a ploy to get us to pay up?

Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Great news about Cody. Really good news.

I heard Cody was after 7.5k a week and that was why lots of clubs were not interested or put of.

I dont think we will pay him that, but maybe with no transfer fee involved we might have got closer to it than we could have done
had we forked out 300k to buy him.

Great news. Now I think we need another midfielder and another defender and its job done. Support players though.

Purchased my season ticket today. Sitting in block 5 this season.
Robpthegills

Postby Garawa » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:34 pm

7.5K?!

That would put him WELL above the average League 1 earners, I believe research by Deliotte earlier in the season put the average wage at around £80k a year! I guess that with no other clubs coming in for him he would have dropped a bit and we met in the middle. As he is from these parts and clearly loves playing here I am sure that would have factored into the equation.

Out of interest Rob, did you have to provide a photo for your season ticket as I know a lot are complaining about it?

Garawa

Postby mark8364 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Cody probably on no more than 3k....no gills player worth more than that
mark8364

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:45 pm

It all seems to be going very well - hats off to MA & PDS
CadburyMan

Postby Robpthegills » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Gary...Yes i did have my photo taken for my season ticket which means other supporters cannot borrow it if I cannot make the game.

I do not have a problem with this.
Robpthegills

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 am

Im really pleased Cody is back,and it will help Cody having Bayo back aswell.In his loan spell he worked well with Kedwell aswell :) .
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 am

I do have a problem with that Rob albeit it doesn't affect me. I cannot see the need for it! I know a number of Gills fans that share a ticket and take it in turns to go to alternate games that now won't be able to or be forced to pay double. In the past (like I did with yours for 2 games a few seasons ago) some not able to go might let another go in their place who might then buy a programme at the very least and maybe some food and drink so the club are earning money from that potentially empty space. Now, it will remain empty as they cannot sell it before-hand - I would have got destroyed by my area-manager if I had empty gaps in my store because "you can't sell empty space". I really don't see the commercial sense of that at all!

I have heard that some have been asked and some not which why I asked. Perhaps it's just the dodgy looking ones!! ;-)

Garawa

Next

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION