Transfer talk

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Transfer talk

Postby Garawa » Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm

After Martin Allen's initial message at the end of the season where he stated Andy Frampton and others had been offered deals, it was a bit of a surprise to see today that Charlie Lee and Adam Birchall will be made available for transfer. Shame as it is, Birchall possibly didn't show enough but I am surprised at Charlie Lee's name. Another bizarre thing is that Frampton a couple of days ago said he was still waiting for his offer!

I hope the "several players" that we are waiting to come back to us do so and that we don't end up with a last minute rush as in most seasons. Success in League 1 will largely come from a majority of players that will take confidence into the new season and not a whole host of new players yet to gel. Not a criticism, just a surprise that a good squad player has been released.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Transfer talk

Postby mark8364 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Does it matter when new players sign? Barrett and Weston only joined the day before the season started!
mark8364

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 am

I agree Gary; don't really get the Charlie Lee one. Even if MA doesn't fancy him to start every game, he knows what to expect from Charlie. He is a good squad member and an experienced sub to bring on if things need tightening up. I hope he has some good replacements ready to sign. Good luck to Charlie, I have enjoyed his never give up attitude and I hope he finds a new club quickly.
lidbid46

Postby Elgrande » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 am

I think Charlie's problem may be his discipline issue. He picks up a lot of cards and MA might not like that. Nice to see Mark back and in his usual cheerful mood! :)
Elgrande

Postby mark8364 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks Elg, to be fair I am probably at the happiest I have ever been!!
mark8364

Postby Garawa » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I suppose the key difference there Mark was League 1 quality players arriving late in League 2. Unless we are going to sign Championship quality players late in League 1, it would be a huge boost to gel what sounds like being a significantly new team ready for a campaign that everyone at the club says we fully intend to battle for promotion in. I think in some cases, there are quite subtle differences between the sides that go down and the ones that don't. I don't think that applies to us, but why leave anything to chance!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I am getting a new season ticket for this season.

Having had a few weeks to reflect on last season I have however slightly changed my ambition for next year.

I am of the belief that if we finish middle of the table we would have done well. I think promotion is well beyond us. I am not being negative just saying it how I see it.

MA has got most things right so far, so I know its foolish to question him, however giving Frampton another year is beyond my understanding, he wasn't good enough in div 2 for a holding
midfield role and he was too slow for the defence so what he is going to do in div 1 will be interesting. Too say he is great in the changing room or to have around the squad is a bit rich, paying
a persons wage cause they are a great bloke.

I would have also kept Charlie Lee, I know he gets lots of bookings but a very good squad player. Its always a bit strange when you release players who then join better teams than you.

We have had a great season, I have enjoyed half of it, not enjoyed some of it, I think MA has done brilliant, he has gelled the fans, made the fans feel closer to the club again, we have a good team spirit, I just hope that continues. At the end of the day we did get promotion, but then Stimson got us promoted with a lot less money and a worse squad.
Robpthegills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Can not question MA, he could not have done any better than he did, going up as Champions ,as good as it gets, hope if we are going well by Christmas he is still here in January.
I think a playoff place is feasible, although I do wish he had not got rid of Lee. Think I would like to see a 12/15 goal scorer arrive before the start , would be nice to see us go 75 For / 39 Against this time, instead of 66 F/39 A.
I would like to see us "hitch up" with a team like Charlton, or Fulham, West Ham, local teams where we could bring in on loan players on a regular basis, I think this is the way to go with teams like Gillingham who have limited financing.
Although the division is not that "exciting," the games against the likes of Wolves, Swindon, Coventry, Orient look like fun and with a few exceptions Carlisle, Crewe, Oldham we seem to have a lot more "local games" and games in the midlands that are easier for fans to get to , or is that just my imagination ?
I hope we get off to good start beating someone like Wolves 3-1 at home in game one of the new season, and I hope our last 3 or 4 games are against teams that have nothing to play for, teams sitting in 14,15,16 place in the table.
Would like to see us have a couple of "tough" games at the end of the the pre season, and I hope we keep the Gills away shirt from last year as our away shirt for this year, any news on next years strip ?
Well that's my caviar wishes and champagne dreams for the coming season, can not wait till the new schedule comes out and we can start thinking football again.
Have a great summer everyone, hope your weather is better than ours, enjoy the off season, see you back here, same bat channel, same bat time in late July.
gillsfan1066

Postby bananaman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Charlie lee was very sporadic and in poor form last season couple that with disciplinary record and being injury prone and I can see why he is listed. Frampton played the holding role well away from home and was versatile to do whatever he was asked, he also brings a huge amount of leadership and mentoring off the field, a good squad player for another year.
MA knows who he is planning to try and bring in and clearly he believes them to be better then lee.
#baconrituals
#Champions by christmas
bananaman

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION