Gills EFL Rivals

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Gills EFL Rivals

Postby JudeKinsella » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:27 pm

I am a student at Loughborough University working in collaboration with the University of Massachusetts, to help research rivalries in the English Football League. The Know Rivalry project is seeking to learn more about the psychological, cultural and commercial effects of football rivalries in the UK.

The views of Gillingham fans could be used to support the marketing and broadcasting of the club, especially in the build-up to games against rivals. At the moment we're focusing on who you view as your rivals in League 2 and above, so Maidstone couldn't be selected as a rival for example. However, your views on other EFL Rivals would be recognised and provide data on what games Gillingham fans look forward to most.

As an AFC Wimbledon fan, I am pleased to have been given the task of collecting data on League 2 clubs this season and it would be greatly appreciated if you could share your views using the following link: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?collID=10&grpID=1424

Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks, Jude.
JudeKinsella

Re: Gills EFL Rivals

Postby lidbid46 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:58 pm

For the last few years, following some unpleasant matches played against them, Swindon Town were supposed to be our rivals, but I think that was more according to us than Swindon! We’ve tried to create rivalry against Millwall and Charlton, but I don’t think they really care less about Gillingham; it’s a bit like a mosquito biting an elephant’s bum!!
lidbid46

Re: Gills EFL Rivals

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:58 pm

Mt first question is are we talking about Massachusetts University as in the Good Old US of A and if we are what the hell are they doing wasting my money I pay in tax's studying English Soccer ,they only have one Pro Soccer team in the whole State and that's The New England Revolution
If Maidstone had stayed up, ( oops they might well be playing the Gills next season,which they could be seeing as they are only a couple of wins away from a promotion place,or is it were just a couple of loses from relegation ) , then it would obviously be them as our Main Rival. I seem to remember reading that when we last played them there were some ugly scenes among the supporters.
I never understood why Swindon were supposed to be, I always thought Southend were our main Rival ? We seem to have played Wimbledon a lot over the last few years, but lets be serious who could be upset with the likes of Great Uncle Bulgaria, Tomsk and that famous one that must be playing for the Gills now , Orinoco (yeah the lazy one) .
I guess at the end of the day the terrible fact is were just not significant enough to any other team for them to hate us, I think they know were a joke, and have been for several years,well since what 2005 or 6 when our wonderful owner decided he wanted to keep his money in his pocket and spend it on racing camels and presents for his latest girlfriend at the time,(now his lovely wife) , instead of spending it on players to keep us in the almost top division.
I think you would find it better to study the difference between English Soccer Rivalry's and American Football Rivalry's. I remember in the late 60's and the 70's teams had " Bovver Boys" roaming away grounds looking to half kill any supporter from the other team. Here in the States the worst that happens if for example we go to Green Bay Wisconsin from Chicago Illinois, to see our Bears play the Packers ,which is a mere three hours up the Freeway (just over 220 miles), is when were in the game the local kids will stick a few stickers on the windshield of any car with Illinois Number Plates, saying Go PACKERS. It's amazing the whole town turns up to watch the rival teams coach head for the ground,everyone booing and shouting, but nothing violent ,just good fun. Only a 100,000 people live in the area, yet they sell out every single game, the stadium seats over 84,000 people, and trust me watching a 3 hour football game in the winter with the temp about 15 degrees below zero at kick off and a 25 mph wind, bbbbrrrrrr .
Sorry can't help with this, now you get back to getting an education and forget all this rubbish about what ever it is your studying, study something useful, Dutch Painting of Fruit and Veg from 1734 to 1892 for example, or French Literature, ( I have a friend whose daughter is studying that at collage at a cost of $75,000 a year,for 4 years , plus trips to France. I asked her once why , after all isn't there people in France who are studying that, she just gave me a look ?
gillsfan1066

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION