All or nothing

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

All or nothing

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:56 am

After last week's "must win game" was drawn, our fate now lies in the hands of Fleetwood. We can secure our safety or be relegated on Tuesday without even kicking a ball.

The Gills lie 1 point about the drop zone with an inferior goal difference of 13, effectively giving Fleetwood an extra point. AFC Wimbledon know that if Fleetwood win their game in hand, they are doomed so will travel to Fleetwood today knowing a win would put them level on points with their hosts and take the fight to the final day. NOT an easy game! The Gills travel to Portsmouth who's season can only see them gain or lose 2-3 places so have nothing to play for.

A Gills win today at Portsmouth and a Fleetwood draw in either their home games against AFC Wimbledon or Sheffield Wednesday would see a final day show down with the Gills having a 3 point advantage but a worse goal difference (been their before haven't we)? If the Gills win today and Fleetwood lose today and again on Tuesday, the Gills will have secured their place in League 1 for next season.

A Gills draw or defeat will see them drop into the relegation zone if Fleetwood beat AFC Wimbledon today and their relegation would be confirmed on Tuesday with a Fleetwood victory over Sheffield Wednesday. Tuesday night is every bit as important to our season as today is and I will be following with a match facts that evening.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: All or nothing

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:58 pm

I hope the Gills players and staff get to see the start of the second half of the Luton Town v Blackpool game,with the ghost of Jimmy Greaves playing for Blackpool under the name of Hamilton. You get the ball outside the area and you RUN, run like the wind into the area. Greavsie used to do this 50 years ago before the players all became prima donna ballet dancers who fall if someone brushes against them,in this day and age he would have been awarded 3 penalties a game. GO GILLS.
We have got our first decent day of the year, the temps are going to be in the high 80'sF/or high 20'sC for you foreigners that bowed to the French and changed everything,causing poor old King Harold to turn in his grave,so I am off to the golf course to hit the little white ball around and warm up for my crack at this years British Open ,well were playing a course called St Andrews this morning, so it is almost like it, then at our club this afternoon, so I am going to have to leave the mighty Gills in you guys capable hands to make sure we get a 2-1 win today.
gillsfan1066

Re: All or nothing

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:43 pm

Can we make it 10-1 in case it comes down to goal difference ha ha
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION