Will we do it?

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Will we do it?

Postby Garawa » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:12 pm

I have to say I was very peeved at our fans writing off our chances when we were 10 points adrift. It was "over" and we had "no chance" of escaping yet we know full well there is often one side which makes a late push. With sides around us with worse form, there was no reason to think they would be the ones to do it and many would be taking points off of each other. We were shipping goals and not scoring so the signs were ominous but we were far from dead and buried.

Harris came in and the form turned. Sitting on 19 points from the 28 games, he has won 18 points from 12 games in charge. Over those 12 games, the Gills are the 11th best side in the division thanks to a defensive system change. The 4 worst sides over that period are Fleetwood, Morecambe, AFC Wimbledon and Crewe with a combined total of 18 points between them from the 48 games between them. Only bottom side Crewe have managed a solitary win between them.

The Gills face two crucial matches next. First, they travel to Sunderland on Saturday whilst Crewe will host Fleetwood. The sides below us with a game in hand then play on Tuesday with Wimbledon, Fleetwood and Morecambe facing home ties against Charlton, Lincoln and Oxford respectively. Crewe visit MK Dons. Then the Gills face Wycombe at Priestfield whilst Doncaster play Crewe. AFC Wimbledon are at home to arch enemies MK Dons and will have a new manager to galvanise them.

Oliver and Kelman are forging a good partnership and will be vital to get the decisive points. Can we do it?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Will we do it?

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:34 pm

Yes we can!!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:27 pm

I am sure we can, and I hope against hope that we do. I would even let Boomerang Bob win this year AND NEXT YEAR ,(oh God did I say that ) in the whatever competition he didn't have to pick the team to win (never understood it) if we stay up ? Well we got rid of Evans so that was good,I guess Scally is still there, the idiot who got us in this mess in the first place ? Now I think it would be a brave man ,or woman ,( Hi Mrs L, oh yeah and mr l ) , that thinks were going to take many points from our games against Sunderland or Rotherham ?
I fear for us against Sunderland this weekend, they have some tough games ahead and are on the edge of the play in spot, they need this one big time, I think there already counting how many goals there going to put past the Gills defence. I hope we play a 7* 2* 1 set up and I REALLY hope Rotherham don't need to win on the last day of the season to be Division Champions . With a bit of luck they would have clinched that spot and they all have a hangover so have to forfeit the game and give us the 3 points or put there under 16 squad out that afternoon.
My guess for the remainder of the games is .......Sunderland ..........0 points, ......Wycombe 1 point,.....Cheltenham.......they have nothing to play for....3 points . ....... Fleetwood .... 3 BIG POINTS,..... , Portsmouth.......0 points if there still in the hunt......Rotherham......0 points ,just to round of their season. I think were looking to end the season with 43 points.
Although Fleetwood and The Wombles are really struggling,with no wins in either of there last 9 or so combined games, and with Lincoln already looking pretty safe The Wombles being four points behind with only one game in hand seem pretty doomed,and I must admit I am a lot happier today thinking we can escape the drop than I was a few weeks back .
If we do stay in the Third Division, I hope no offence to our present manager ,but Scally brings in a new young Manager someone like Clarke from Port Vale, maybe a look at Clough at Mansfield in either don't get promoted , give them a 3 year contract and stick with them as long as things improve every year, and let's be serious it could not be any worse than this season,( could it ) ? Dear God's of footie please let the Gills pick up at least a point this week, PLEASE.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:04 pm

I was impressed when we appointed Harris as I still feel he is a Championship level manager. Especially when we were linked with total unknowns who were all turning us down!

We have done well with too few players and some having to adapt in an unfamiliar system so, bringing in the players he wants for the right positions bodes well. Harris has also brought in a director of recruitment to get those players so it feels like we are building for the future with a proper plan to bed in young players rather than throw them in out of necessity.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:53 am

He is doing good with what he has got to work with, and he did well at Millwall,not so well in Wales,but he seems to be doing a good job at Gillingham. I guess I was hoping that perhaps Jerking Klopp would be available or oldPep G might like a challenge to show they were real managers,just not a manager that buys a winning team ,but I guess there not up for the challenge.
Scally let Evans buy a team of 11 midfield players and no forwards,I hope he opens the purse strings this summer and A) either lets Harris and his loyal number 2 get us into a position where were challenging for a playoff spot in Division One ,or B) where we bounce straight back from Division 2 as Champions, no play off needed.
gillsfan1066

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION