Celebration Diner.

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Celebration Diner.

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:07 am

Tonight her at home was out at some charity thing, so I decided to have my favorite dinner, egg, chips and beans, half a loaf of bread, and real budder, lol.
Got home only to find we had no eggs , so it was beans chips and bread.
Flash back to the last time Gillingham won a division title, as a student at GTHS on Green St. we used to take our lunch money wonder along to Canterbury St and eat lunch everyday at a little café on the west side of the street, beans, chips and a slice of bread and butter.
What a success story, I can now afford to eat five more slices of bread for dinner than I did as a kid in 1963.
gillsfan1066

Re: Celebration Diner.

Postby RobGFC2008 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Ah yes...my first job in 1973 paid part of my wages in luncheon vouchers and I used to save some up for away trips and at the services treated our "few" to a round of egg chips and beans, but they had to pay for their own sausages :)
RobGFC2008

Postby Garawa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 pm

I sometimes think that is a treat! Shall we have steak? No lets treat ourselves and have a fry-up, we know we shouldn't really!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby steve347 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 pm

In 1964 April I was nine years old and being a clever clogs was just so many months off taking my Eleven Plus.
Saturday lunchtime was jellied veal, mashed spuds and peas (tin) & then bananas and custard; teatime was salad, pilchards, spring onions. (My sister raged inside - kissing night breath)
Mum had a rota - you knew months in advance what you might have. To be honest the dinners were generally fab and we were a bit better off than the average.
Weekdays lunch - quick sprint home from school - bread with fish or meat paste, perhaps cheese, then lemon curd or jam, and Camp Coffee (yeuk).
Meat in sarnies was rare then and chicken was only for the rich.
Thinking of chips, does anyone remember asking for a pennyworth of fish scraps from the local chippy?

I was at the Chilton Lab open day where Dad worked, and was very exited by patterns of squiggly lines in cloud chambers as atoms and particles were smashed up by Nimrod ( a precursor to that monstrous thing that discovered the Higgs Boson in Switzerland) when the news came through. We won 1-0 away from home and squeezed the Champions spot on goal average.
No computers in those days, every young fan could do complicated long division by the age of 8 or 9.
I saw my first Gills match 2 years before in April 1962. We lost 2-3 at home to Wrexham days after playing them away and losing 0-3. That doesn't happen any more.
In 1963 we were still playing at the end of May after the appalling winter freeze and snow that started at Christmas 1962 and didn't end for nearly four months.

PS There was no Match of the Day till August 1964 in glorious Black and White.

PPS I remember being in the wooden floor stand and looking through the large gaps between steps saw the mountains of rubbish below - paper bags and sheets mostly. Years later we saw what could happen with the Bradford fire. Reckon that tragedy could have happened just about anywhere.
steve347

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION