Evans gone

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Evans gone

Postby lidbid46 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:10 pm

Evans has just left ; mutual consent apparently. Now what?!
lidbid46

Re: Evans gone

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:54 pm

Careful what/who we wish for not that our opinions count for anything
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:04 pm

More worried about reports of Tucker and Demspey being sold. Under embargo with a large loan to pay, a serious lack of depth/injuries anyway in the squad and we can only bring in 2 players to replace them to be within the 23 players rule (but mid-season that means spending big on a contracted player or bringing in a free agent nobody wants, guess which our only option is).

With that in mind, who will want to come and sort out this mess? Only an out of contract manager or someone with no experience so its hard to see how this situation will improve. I disliked Evan's a lot however results were inevitable somewhat given the number of players out we had. That said, his point-proving against Scally was crazy - why play defender McKenzie up front and leave Lloyd and Lee on the bench just to show he wants more players? I can't see anyone improving on that!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby bunburygills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:35 am

It must have been something I said. Seriously, instead of recycling all the old names again, why don't they try a qualified, recently retired player from the Premier League. They have to start somewhere, why not the Gills? What about an unknown to England but great manager from a different culture. Aussie Ange Postecoglou came from Japan and is working wonders at Celtic. Who'd heard of Potter a few years ago. No-one had heard of Wenger when he joined Arsenal from Grampus 8 in Japan, he turned out alright too. Think outside the box for once, it can't be any worse than what's happened for years up to now.
bunburygills

Postby lidbid46 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Steve’s back! Here comes Lovel for the 215th time! We’re saved!!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:04 am

The Gillingham Job is a great job for anyone that is the manager of a team in the National League ,with maybe the exception of the top six or so teams who are fighting for promotion, so that leaves about 17 managers,and I am sure every one of the managers in the National League North and South would jump at the chance at the Gills job ,so if we were looking for a " new manager" who has never been in "top flight football" and by that I mean the top four divisions of the pyramid then that's where I would be looking If Lovell can keep us up , then at the end of the season, I would look at the managers of the three or four teams that just missed promotion into the Second Division and offer the job to one of them.
As for giving the job to an ex Premier Division player ,I think really good players make pretty bad managers, Paul Ince, Alan Shearer, Tony Adams, they just don't seem to be able to understand why everyone can not be as good as they were. I find that in my life the best guys at anything seem to make the worst trainers, or whatever.
Foreign players or foreign managers looking to break in the English football, maybe someone from Scotland or Wales, or even Ireland might be interested, they don't need a passport to get here , I just don't see it. I hardly think the manager of the Tasmanian Tailwaggers of the South Australian League is likely to uproot his family and travel to the UK to take the Gills job on.
The Gills are in a mess, I find it such a shame that after 27 years of owning GFC , this idiot owner still doesn't understand the basics of running a professional football club, what's the saying a Leopard never changes it spots , how true that is ?
gillsfan1066

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION