Martin Allen

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Martin Allen

Postby Kezz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:47 pm

I know it was mentioned when he came to us, that he wasn't keen on the nickname Mad dog, but his interview he gave about winning the league,had more than a hint that he really doesn't like it, it also appeared to me that he sees himself as a failure in light of his family. I was quite saddened by it, I just wondered how everyone else viewed it?
Kezz

Re: Martin Allen

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Agreed Kezz, I think he kinda associates that name tag as the best he could get, yet now he has proven he can do a whole lot better.
Robpthegills

Postby Garawa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 pm

I wouldn't buy that for a minute! I have admitted that I was wrong about him but I think he still has that ruthless streak needed to do what he does in "fire-fighting". I think he revels in the tag as it is he that is asked onto shows partly because of it. He might have said that they were all "multi-talented" compared to him, but I think he would be regarded as highly successful in saving clubs from relegation. He has always come across to me as someone who needed to mask that ruthless streak with little acts that curry the favour of supporters and that was possibly a chance to do so again to a much wider audience.

This isn't a criticism, I cannot criticise anyone after this merely an observation from what I have seen. After all, I doesn't hurt to have a different persona outside of the game as he isn't in a job to be liked and I can't help but wonder if some of those horrible decisions started Saturday night!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby mark8364 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am

Favourite for the Sheffield United job!
mark8364

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 am

That's where I would want to go, to a team that fire's it's manager with four or five games to go, forget the first 40 games that got you here into a play off position, because the directors "think" they should be an Auto promoted team ? I think I should win the lottery this week.
I feared this would happen, if he leaves call Danny Wilson guaranteed he will put 100% into making sure the Mighty Gills finish above Sheffield United next season.
Hey MA, it's Yorkshire they hate "Southerners" up there, two or three bad results around Christmas and you will be managing Weymouth in the spring.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Can't help being concerned though. MA is ambitious and wants success; perhaps heightened by the point made on this thead about comparisons with others in his family. Hope he stays but won't be surprised to see him go.
Rimshot

Postby mark8364 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Martin Allen has said on the clubs official twitter page that he is staying!!

https://twitter.com/TheGillsFC
mark8364

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 am

I am always a touch concerned when a manager comes out and says he is going nowhere as normally soon after he goes! And I also wouldn't ready much into building the side for next season as it appears this was started a few weeks ago.

That said, I think he genuinely was thrilled on Saturday and I had tears in my eyes watching him beam so I think he knows this club has potential but United is a poisoned chalice doomed to fail again.

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 am

Champions! (6).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 am

DELETE!!!!.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garawa

Next

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION