The Gills this season

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

The Gills this season

Postby Garawa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:57 pm

It's hard to tell where we stand this season. Sometimes we look classy, other times abysmal. Doesn't seem to be much inbetween and we appear to regressed back to the time where we seem incapable of competing at all in the first 45 minutes. Let's be honest, we have players we all wanted to see at the club - Samuel, Graham, Ogilvie, Tucker and Dempsey would be players I'd choose to be here if money allowed (within our budget of course). We have had league spells where I don't feel many sides would have competed with us - 9 goals in 4 games back in October and the same again back in November. Either side however, we seem barely able to create a chance.

Personally, I think the insistence of playing 4-3-3 to get Graham's prowess up front is leaving us short in midfield where we are unable to build possession and therefore cannot create the chances for a front 3. We have plenty of midfielders, again have opted against width, and are suffering for it. When was the last time we whipped a ball in the box to head in after a burst down the wing? When was the last time a forward burst through the centre latching on to a through ball from midfield? Slow and steady build-up play seems to be met with 10 opposition players back, too many in the box and a shot either blazed over the bar or hacked away. We have players of quality so I think its time we got the players into midfield to protect the defenders and provide opportunities to score for the strikers. If that means playing 1 up front so be it as 3 don't seem likely to score at the moment.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: The Gills this season

Postby bunburygills » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks, that sounds like a good assessment of the team. Why play three forwards if none are regularly coming back to assist the midfield. Even Leicester, who are doing pretty good, often just pass a long ball up to Jamie Vardy who's often the only forward up there. Mind you, he's pretty quick and he knows where the goal is most of the time. Don't we have anyone remotely like him in the team?
bunburygills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:20 am

Once again I will say it, the Gills should have thrown a boat load of cash at Tom Eaves to keep him here, in two years he scored FORTY GOALS in Ninety Seven appearances, and we let the ungreatful bugger walk out the door and join Hull City where in 64 games he has managed to score a whopping TWELVE GOALS. Good I hope he is being paid by the goal, lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm

I think Eaves had earned the right to try his hand higher up the divisions so money wasn't really the motivation (although I'm certain he took a pretty big pay hike). Sadly, as often is the case, they end up back where they started.

Bunbury, I think Samuel is that sort of player. Coyle probably could be similar but I think Evans doesn't want them to play that sort of way. I am no football expert, but it feels like to me that 3 up top means more defenders stay back and this means we tend to attack a crowded penalty area. Play 5 midfielders and 1 up front and you don't need 4 defenders to keep an eye on 1 man. They also get outnumbered in midfield so have to try and match it. With a lack of numbers in the middle, we are lumping long again only for the ball to be cleared or we play it about only to have 18 people to navigate past! Second year in a row he has brought in wingers and refused to play width, instead playing them in many different forward combinations.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION