Where Will Gillingham Be In 2030 ???

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Where Will Gillingham Be In 2030 ???

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 am

Here's a head scratching question, obviously ten years ago, Gillingham suffered relegation into League Two after losing to Wycombe Wanderers on the final day of The 2009 / 2010 Season, and since then, Gillingham have ended 8th in League Two twice, won The League Two Title In 2013, And we have spent the last seven years in League One. So, where do you think Gillingham will be in 2030 ???
fan_of_mulligan

Re: Where Will Gillingham Be In 2030 ???

Postby Garawa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 am

I think we are heading for a period of reckoning. Football is unsustainable and this crisis has shown how fragile it is. One of two things will happen to the Premier League I think. Either there is so much money available that it becomes almost a different sport and there will be two iterations of it like in boxing and darts. That, or it will collapse like a house of cards.

The rest will need to operate in a very different manner. Money will not be able to spent like before and that could play into the Gills hands. Fans complain about lack of ambition but we could be in a more stable position than many others. If clubs no longer have tons of money to throw around, we can perform on a more level playing field and potentially better the results of the last couple of seasons. If the EPL were to collapse (or at least some sides within it go bust), we might see the powerful sides leave and form the European Superleague leaving sides like Gillingham to become the big clubs.

Basically, this crisis, as long as football resumes soon, is likely to be beneficial for a club like ours as long as we get behind and support it and I would expect us to be competing strongly in League 1.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION