Judgement Day

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Judgement Day

Postby Garawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:10 pm

We should finally get to hear how the season ends on Tuesday 9th of June. Should. I say that with a degree of caution!

The season was halted on the 13th of March and all football was suspended. Some leagues, such as English non-league football, was wiped out as if it never happened. Others, such as Ligue 1 and the Scottish Premier, ended their seasons on a points-per-game basis.

On May 15th, League 2 voted to terminate their season but have yet to decide how the season would be finalised. League 1 clubs failed to come to a decision on how their season would end.

On the 16th of May, the German Bundesliga restarts.

On the 18th May, the Premier League vote to resume training but League 1 clubs once again fail to come up with a way to end their season.

AN EFL board meeting on the 20th May failed to come up with a resolution to the League 1 stalemate and would put forward a set of options "by the end of the week" for clubs to vote on.

On the 28th May, Premier League clubs vote on a resumption of competitive matches in mid-June with all games to be shown live due to being played behind closed doors.

The 31st of May sees Championship clubs vote to start their season again on June 20th.

3 separate meetings with League 1 clubs over the last couple of weeks all end in stalemate, failing to provide any resolution to end, curtail, expunge or restart the season.

The EFL set League 1 clubs a deadline of June 2nd to find alternative solutions to end the season. The alternative suggestions for ending the League 1 season was extended to the 5th of June.

8th of June, final date to decide on what option will be taken - 1 week before the Championship and EPL begin their matches and 3 months since the last League 1 match was played. Will we finally break the deadlock as other sports begin their season again or will this drag on for yet another week?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Judgement Day

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Today's decision for Leagues 1 & 2 is the sensible decision

People matter more than football
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 pm

I agree. But this is a decision that was the obvious outcome and should have been made weeks ago so that we can plan for next season. League 2 figured this out so why we couldn't I don't know.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm

I did make it weeks ago. I feel if I was a Tranmere Rovers fan I would be pretty upset, I think they should have been allowed to stay in the division, and if Stevenage get relegate then I think thats harsh as well.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:59 pm

I don't see why they couldn't have a mini-playoff to decide who went down based on the presumptions that a) a side who would survive on points per game could preserve that status or b) that a side looking like coming into form and saving themselves could earn their survival and replace the other side. But then the losing side there would claim that was unfair - its a lose/lose situation. At least it preserves a bit of integrity.

In the Fact of the Day section, I show the table with current form taken into account and Tranmere would catch AFC Wimbledon and that doesn't take into account the game they still had to play against each other. In that form table, Wycombe were looking like dropping to 8th but finish in 3rd under points per game despite losing points galore and Peterborough would finish 2nd because of their decent run of late but instead miss out on a playoff spot. Extending the playoffs would have allowed those sides to show they might have made it as sides always do. A side in 3rd shouldn't be concerned about a team in 10th beating them unless their form was rubbish and they would have missed out anyway.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:35 am

Current form ,hell most of the players have been sitting around drinking eating and doing the minimum of exercise for the last 8 or so weeks, there is no current form, should be interesting when the Prem. starts next week, I have a feeling there could be some upsets particularly from any players out of contract in a couple of weeks, who will want to show a new club why they should be signed for next year.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:14 am

A few bonkers scorelines too I guess.

Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION