Alex Jakubiak

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Alex Jakubiak

Postby Garawa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:01 pm

AJ seems to still be referred to by many "fans" as not good enough and that we still require the big striker that Evans promised. I'm a bit confused by this although if Evans kept his trap shut it would help. Jakubiak come after scoring a couple of goals at most clubs he was on loan at. Like Eaves when he was signed, he had a very uninspiring record. In his first 2 seasons, Eaves scored 4 league goals in 8 games and 4 in 9. Jakubiak has 4 league goals in 6 games. Now I don't expect him to maintain that rate all season but he is well on the way to 20 goals and this when playing a 1 up front system. We are not the sort of side (especially when playing 4-2-3-1) that can accommodate two 20-goal-a-season strikers. Surely the main worry is Watford recalling him January not securing the services of another striker when we have Jakubiak, Ndjoli, Mandron and Hanlan to fit in.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Alex Jakubiak

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 am

OK but if "Jackie " goes back in January you say we have got three other strikers to fit in so whats the problem ? By the way I don't think we will ever get promoted playing a 4-2-3-1 system , think we should be playing 4-4-2,with two up front and the four in the middle going forward especially down the wings, I watch game after game admittedly mainly on the TV but I bet 25/30 % of goals are scored from the wing, players going forward and crossing the ball.
I know it's the "old fashioned way of playing ", nowadays the back pass seems to be more important than anything else, but a big guy charging into the box from the wing sends shivers up the defenders spines,one touch and it's a penalty.
gillsfan1066

Re: Alex Jakubiak

Postby Garawa » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:09 pm

We changed that way against Wycombe. We went 4-4-2 BUT.........the blooming diamond was back! So we bring in players that can play wide and then add Marshall for even more width options but it feels like we have barely used them. This goes back to Lovell and Pennock so why the reluctance to use wide players after bring them in? We used Marshall and Byrne on the left and the right of the diamond with Lee at the tip but they were very narrow and it left lots of space to fill which either of the front players tried to drift in to cover. Doesn't matter who the matter is, the same issues remain where play a system easy to suss out and don't use width when we have the players. And we wonder why our home results have been poor. Lets hope 2 wins in a row and a 7-0 goal difference kicks starts that home form and puts it to bed.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION