What good are contracts?

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

What good are contracts?

Postby Garawa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 pm

So Parrett and Rees have been told they won't feature for the new manager and have refused to take offers from "another league club and a non-league club". I would imagine these were a League 2 club for Parrett and a non-league club for Rees. I can't imagine either club would pay a fee for them and I would expect this would result in a pay cut. If so, they are being cast out for refusing to take a pay cut having worked out their house-hold budgets based on an agreed wage for 2 years. If I am right, then the only winner here would be the receiving club and us, who would get 2 players off the wage bill for free. The players suddenly find themselves with less money.

Both were offered 2 year deals and have chosen to honour their contracts which seems to have annoyed some fans and the manager. The question is, what point is a contract if we simply expect them to rip it up at our request? Also, if a player refused to play because he wanted a better deal elsewhere he would (rightly) get slated. The best way forward I think would have been a season-long loan where we pay half their wages. They get to promote themselves, keep their wages in full and we save a chunk of salary. As it is, both look likely to descend into obscurity for a year whilst we pay full wages for players who the manager says he won't use.

It's all a bit unsavoury.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: What good are contracts?

Postby Garawa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

After that, Parrett signs for Stevenage so I wonder what the scenario with that is as I doubt Stevenage are paying his League 1 wage (or are we paying wages that are in the League 2 bracket in which case, it was a wonder he came to us at all).

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:03 am

Even my hero, the man I was going to pay big time to manage Gillingham FC when I bought it as soon as I win 300 million bucks on the Lottery has told Sheffield Utd that all the bull corn he said at his press conference when he was offered the managers job and a contract was just that BULL CORN. This guy has managed I think I heard 10 teams and never stayed at one for two years. Whats the betting on who the Next Manager is going to be when Bruce gets fired in January 2020 ?
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:28 am

One of the things that happens when you change managers is that the guys the previous manager thought were God's gift to the footballing world are Dodo's in the eyes of the new manager.
Average pay for a player in the First Division is around 70,000 pounds a year, not bad considering if your career last 10 years you have made enough to buy that paper shop on the corner of Gillingham Road and Gordon Road .
gillsfan1066

Postby sotongill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Garawa wrote:After that, Parrett signs for Stevenage so I wonder what the scenario with that is as I doubt Stevenage are paying his League 1 wage (or are we paying wages that are in the League 2 bracket in which case, it was a wonder he came to us at all).

His contract was mutually terminated .

Which means that we've agreed to pay something probably less than what we would have had he stayed , but enough to cover the shortfall in wages offered by Stevenage .
sotongill

Postby sotongill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:... to buy that paper shop on the corner of Gillingham Road and Gordon Road .

Don't ever remember one being on the corner , but think there was one in the small parade of shops between Gordon Road and Priestfield Road . There are houses there now .
sotongill

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Yeah there was one there, owned by Simpson ,Yeo, Gibbs, Pulley, one of the greats from the 60's. Looking at Google maps I think it is now a Fish and Chip Shop, if not it's a bit further down the road and is Tayyba Hair and Beauty, which I think might be the store I am talking about.
How the hell do you guys drive anywhere,every street is so narrow and with parking on one side, what did you guys do shrink the streets after I left, lol?
gillsfan1066

Postby bunburygills » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 am

This post 100% confirms what I was saying in the previous discussion about loyalty. One player's contract is up and he moves on to greener pastures and is condemned by some, whilst other players still on contracts are told they're not wanted anymore. Loyalty? That's why I would never condemn the likes of Gareth Bale sitting tight on huge wages instead of taking a huge pay cut just to justify the whims of a manager who doesn't fancy him anymore.
bunburygills

Postby sotongill » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:05 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:Yeah there was one there, owned by Simpson ,Yeo, Gibbs, Pulley, one of the greats from the 60's. Looking at Google maps I think it is now a Fish and Chip Shop, if not it's a bit further down the road and is Tayyba Hair and Beauty, which I think might be the store I am talking about.
How the hell do you guys drive anywhere,every street is so narrow and with parking on one side, what did you guys do shrink the streets after I left, lol?

Fish and chip shop was there in the sixties mate . I believe that Yeo owned the shop just below the level crossing , as Gillingham Road becomes Ingram Road . Think that would have been his second shop , as he had one originally on the corner of Roseberry Road , at the point that Burnt Oak Terrace becomes Parr Avenue . Simpson had a shop up Barnsole Road , either on the corner of Glanville Road or Coulman Street . Tayyba Hair and Beauty is on the corner of Priestfield Road - think there used to be a barbers shop there in the sixties .

Most of the roads in that area are one way these days - i'm also always amazed when i go back to Gillingham about how narrow the streets are
sotongill

Postby Garawa » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:38 pm

sotongill wrote:
Garawa wrote:After that, Parrett signs for Stevenage so I wonder what the scenario with that is as I doubt Stevenage are paying his League 1 wage (or are we paying wages that are in the League 2 bracket in which case, it was a wonder he came to us at all).

His contract was mutually terminated .

Which means that we've agreed to pay something probably less than what we would have had he stayed , but enough to cover the shortfall in wages offered by Stevenage .

Ahh. I thought there must be some sort of compensation. I wonder good then are season loans unless that involves paying full wages by the receiving club (although we paid half of JET's) as that would make being loaned someone else's player more expensive then making him yours. Why this needs to be so confusing, ha ha. Thanks Soton.

Garawa

Next

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION