No news is good news?

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

No news is good news?

Postby Garawa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 am

Monday was the first day that Tom Eaves was out of contract. I'd have expected, being the first day of the week, that this would free up the announcement that he had joined another club, especially as he has been purportedly coveted for months. The fact that this has not happened, I wonder if this is the waiting game. After all, Eaves has nothing to lose. If the club up their offer, he gets a bigger deal. If they don't, he signs the deal he was offered at the start. Of course, a late-comer can always steal him during this period of limbo.

It seems a lot has changed for him. Reports say he wanted to be nearer home and bought a house there however has a girlfriend here and loves playing for us. Some Championship clubs who were interested seem to have opted for more experienced strikers. Sunderland were supposedly interested, probably if they stayed in the division however he would be unlikely to play every game and will not be plying his trade in a higher division. Intriguing conundrum for Mr Eaves. Of course, in a few hours I may well regret writing this but the longer this goes on, the longer I feel he wants to sign a new deal for us.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: No news is good news?

Postby Goalmouth » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:24 am

I too would have thought we'd have heard something by now. You can't blame players wanting to play at a higher level but for every one that has left the Gills for something supposedly better, there are others whose careers have stalled and they've spent most of their time sitting on the bench. I think it comes down to the question, do I want more money, or do I want to play every week, albeit at a lower level?
Goalmouth

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:54 am

I suppose Hull has to be seen as a career advance: we had a couple of years of great value from Tom.

Would have been great had he stayed but best wishes to him going forward.
CadburyMan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Screw him, hope he gets benched and never plays for Hull and ends up at Gillingham , thats Gillinghm Town FC in Dorset.
When we go up at the end of next season I hope it's Hull and him that come down to take our place.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Why so 1066 ? What is so wrong with working at a higher level and be better placed to service one's commitments ? Did you never move jobs to be in a better place ?
CadburyMan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 pm

When I moved to a new job I always found it very difficult to do, I guess I was one of those idiots that felt a great deal of loyalty to the company I was working for,even though the new job always offered more money , a better position ,nicer office or what ever . Eaves had his best two years of his footballing career when he joined GFC , he bounced around on loan from team to team and the staff of GFC made him what he is today .
He could see were building a promotion contending team , I think he could have given us one more season, I guess loyalty means nothing to anyone any more.
So now he has gone, didn't give a sh*t about GFC, just like ever other greedy dam football player in this game where no one gives a hoot about anything but the paycheck
I don't care two hoots about Hull City Tigers Football Club or Tom Eaves, why would I , that would be like caring about an ex wife after the divorce if she had been unfaithful, but I would have a good laugh if they got relegated at the end of this season ,while the MIGHTY GILLS GET PROMOTED, GGGOOO GGGGIIILLLLSSSS.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:02 am

You could well be right 1066 but did WE offer him a new contract to reflect the value he brought to the club - we'll probably never know for sure.
CadburyMan

Postby bunburygills » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 am

There's very little loyalty in football these days but that's how it should be. Players only have a short playing span so they have to get as much money as they can when they can. The star players go where they can pick up trophies as well as top dollar. After all, if a player doesn't fit, he's soon shown the door even if he's got no chance of a decent place anywhere else. Likewise, how many fans would put up with a non performing manager for long without copping enormous abuse. All this crap about not celebrating a goal against a former team and not transferring between neighboring clubs is a load of twaddle. It's just catering for the lowest common denomination, the great unwashed, people without any achievement in their own lives. I haven't achieved a great deal but I don't deny anyone the chance to improve themselves.
bunburygills

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION