The players left.

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

The players left.

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm

I see German has gone back to Brentford and Martin Allen said he would look at 1 more loan signing so I would imagine that position might be it.

Last week on Radio Kent they said Martin Allen met Scally in Dubai and were summising that it was to discuss a League 1 campaign next season. If so this is good news as recent seasons have felt a bit last minute. That got me thinking about what the team might look like.

Goalkeeper and defence are possibly League 1 ready with fullback cover needed. There is no doubt at all with Nelson, Legge & Barratt (all League 1 standard players) and Fish has upped his game massively.
The midfield looks a bit light although Weston, Lee & Whelpdale could be argued are all League 1 standard. Gregory came from a League 1 club so could be added to that list and it looks certain that Jack Payne will sign for Peterboro in the summer so I would have added him to that list as well.
As for strikers Kedwell would be a useful option but I think we need 2 decent marksmen that will play together regularly as a front pair really need to build up an understanding with each other.

So 2 strikers, 1 midfielder with a couple more for cover and 1 defender for cover to make up the matchday 14. What are others thoughts?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: The players left.

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 pm

No doubt we need two or three forwards who can put the ball in the back of the net,we get the shots , and plenty are on target, but few seem to go in , goal scoring has been pretty dismal of late. OK enough to win I know, but hell , my nerves can not stand another season of this,lol.
I think Scally needs to put his hands deep in his pocket and bring in at least two proven First if not Championship scorers or else I fear we will be sitting at the wrong end of the table next campaign. The team we field now would be lucky to avoid relegation.
I hope we can do well next season, looking at the teams in Division One now it is not exactly exciting is it ? OK fun for guy like me who remembers the glory days of Wolves, Sheff Wed,Ipswich etc, and I think we may be playing one or two of them next year, but apart from the Coventry, Sheff Utd and Orient matches and perhaps one or two others it's almost like division 2.
PLEASE PLEASE GFC do a back to back and go up again next season.
Whats the situation with Simeon Jackson and Cody McD at Norwich, neither seems to be able to hit a barn door from ten paces in East Anglia, any chance of a long loan spell ??
Every time I look at You Tube and GFC Best Goals ever , one name always seems to be mentioned, Marlon King, is he still playing.?? I know, I know, leopards never change their spots but for 20 goals a season I will buy him a Zebra striped coat to wear.
gillsfan1066

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm

New left back, new right back use the 2 we currently have as cover.

2 new strikers and 2 new midfielders.

In total 6 new players.

But then if I knew what I was doing maybe I would be a football manager and I am not.
Robpthegills

Postby steve347 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 pm

We need to hit the ground running at the end of the season if we are to pick up two good strikers so hopefully we will be able to sign them sooner rather than later. Two or three quality midfield essential so we don't have to defend for 85 minutes! Glad we have not spent too much this season and let a few go without crumbling away like Vale.
Need the likes of Iffy, Ade, Hess and Smithy
steve347

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION