Lovell connections and tactics

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Lovell connections and tactics

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 am

A lot of negativity was around when we signed Hanlan and Charles-Cook, both youth players that were released by Charlton after not making into their first team squads. This was understandable but Lovell knew these players well from his time there. So then, how fantastic it was to see both link up for the first goal! Charles-Cook has been very well received by fans so lets hope this continues. How often do we pick up Charlton players that turn out to be pretty decent.

I think we have to accept that what we have is players that can do a certain job for the manager and that big name players are not going to fit that criteria. Having a solid team that understand his ethos is the key. How long this will continue once teams work out how to play against them remains to be seen. One key to success for me is the midfield positions. We started Bingham, Byrne, Parrett and Charles-Cook and I think we all expected Bingham or Byrne to be the deepest holding player and Parrett behind the front two. It turned out that Parrett was deepest with Charles-Cook at the tip of the diamond. When they changed around, Charles-Cook went deepest. Reilly was unavailable so if the players will continually change about, it will make playing against them and the diamond midfield very difficult.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Lovell connections and tactics

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Regan Charles-Cook and Brandon Hanlan both had the pace to hit Accrington Stanley on the counter attack, Charlton Athletic Supporters went into melt-down on Twitter because Josh Magennis scored for Bolton Wanderers, Joe Pigott scored for Maidstone United, and Regan Charles-Cook assisted Brandon Hanlan for the opening goal against Gillingham and Harry Lennon signed for Southend United, so there are serious questions being asked about Charlton Athletic regarding how serious are they when it comes to youth development, and given Steve Lovell's connections at Charlton Athletic and he has worked at Charlton Athletic previously, then there may well be players in The U18 - U23 Age Group that Steve Lovell can pick up if they are released over the next year or two.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Interesting. Always annoying when players do well when leaving a club however so many in one go? Suggests Charlton's finish last season was excellent considering the even more concerning issues that must be present behind the scenes.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Bradley Dack ,released by Charlton when he was 14, I think they bring in half the kids in South East London and you can't keep them all thats for sure.
I think any team with an Academy makes mistakes, releasing a kid probably wakes him up and he then realizes he is not Gods gift to the soccer world, gets another chance and works his socks off.
gillsfan1066

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION