Only the Gills.....

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Only the Gills.....

Postby Garawa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Good results last night have helped us out. 50 points is considered safety (yet the Gills were relegated on that total against the odds a few years ago).
52 points is considered "guaranteed safety" yet 2 teams in history have been relegated on 54 points.
Had Oldham and Rochdale won last night, they could have moved within a win with two games left to play. Therefore, the Gills could have still been relegated after winning 1 more game. No team has ever gone down on 55 points yet we were "safe" when we reached 50! Crazy.

Its all the teams in the middle that have dropped lots of points as normally a side with lots of points at the top means less points are needed for safety. We have 2 this season so its the sides in the middle that are dropping the points. For example, Rotherham can be promoted from the playoffs even if they were to lose their final 2 games. That would give them 16 defeats, the same number as Rochdale in 19th. What a weird season League 1 is this year.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Only the Gills.....

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 am

Well when we reached fifty points back in the dark ages of winter, I assumed (yeah ,yeah,yeah, I know) that we might actually win one of the 87 games we had remaining. I for one did not expect them to empty their lockers and all stop playing after the Portsmouth game in the first week of March did you ?
gillsfan1066

Re: Only the Gills.....

Postby Garawa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:32 pm

No, but then I also never expected to be on the very comfortable 52 points and looking very likely to get relegated. Never known a season quite like this.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION