Outplayed

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Outplayed

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:52 am

Seems that we were completely out played, looks as if we could have gone down 5-0 if the Grecians could shoot strait, BUT we didn't and we came away with a point so thank you very much.
Never prayed for a season to be over, but please The Gods of Football make it end as of now, call the season NOW, lets go up as Champions and let that poor piece of 50 year old silverware in the cabinet get a mate.
gillsfan1066

Re: Outplayed

Postby steve347 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

50 years ago it was really tense. We had to win the last few matches to overtake Carlisle. The last match was a 1-0 win (like many that season) away at Doncaster? Two points for a win in those days and it was goal ratio instead of goal difference, and me knees were knocking below my compulsory short trousers. If you missed the results you needed to grab a football paper in the evening or wait till the Sunday papers arrived.
It was brilliant to be champions.
steve347

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:27 pm

I remember that season very well, 4.45 every Saturday when we played away, watching BBC , scores coming in on that magic typewriter thing and was it David Coleman reading the scores? Happy days, wish I knew then what I know now, lol. Worst bit is I can still remember us playing a bunch of the teams we played this year, Exeter,Accr. Stanley, York, Bradford etc.lol.
Talking of newspapers I remember waking up on a park bench in Bangkok one morning( don't ask) looking down and there was an English Sunday newspaper back page blowing past me, headline Gillingham 5-Preston N End 0, Gillingham top of the First Division. Talk about sobering up in a heartbeat, Top of Division One, looked at the table printed underneath, Gillingham, Man City, Wolves, WBA, how did that happen, who cares were top of Division One, must get a drink to celebrate, who knew they had invented a Premier and a Championship Division, lol?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm

That is a distant memory for me (very distant actually as I am "only" 36)!!!!

I have just imagined what it would be like to come away from the ground, get home and put on the results (if quick or close enough) to discover the other results. Missing it and waiting until the next day to see it in the paper must have been agony!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Happy days... struggling to get midweek results on the night of the game. No internet, no sky sports,no radio 5live. I don't care much about the silverware, just want to get out of this division.
Rimshot

Postby Goalmouth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm

I used to tune in to Radio Luxembourg for the evening results back then, and yes, if you missed them you had to wait for the papers, and if they hadn't been delivered before you went to school you had to wait for one of your mates to tell you what happened. Mind you, there was always a reasonable report on the Gills on the back of the Sunday Express at weekends. Not like today when the Premier League is all that gets reported.

If we win the title we'll get promoted. Let's not let it slip now.
Goalmouth

Postby Robpthegills » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 am

I used to listen to the results on the World Service radio. They used to read the results out for families in the services. Have to be honest though, i cannot recall if that was every night or just once a week. That said back then most matches were on a saturday and tuesday, with only a few games being on friday at places like Tranmere due to wanting fans to turn up instead of going to the big 2 in town.
Robpthegills

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION