Still #1

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Still #1

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Arsenal v Gillingham , League or FA Cup mid sixties, 1-1 then bought them home and drew 1-1 again, end the conversation there computer ribbon running out of ink can't write anymore.
gillsfan1066

Postby Poshgill » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:31 am

Greatest away win for me was the 1-0 against Coventry in the League Cup. First time we had beaten a top flight team away from home and it was a deserved win as well. In fact the scoreline really flattered Coventry. 6,000 Gills fans on a mid-week. Strachen's first game in charge and Highfield road. Still sends a shiver down my spine.

But as for league victories, then I'd have to go for Peterborough about '96. A truly awful night with the rain coming down like stair rods. A pretty decent Posh side and was 0-0 at HT. Just after the re-start, Big Fat Jim went for an easy catch and came down on his ankle. He goes off and Harris went in goal as no GK on the bench. Cue Posh bombarding the Gills goal. They were shooting from every angle and somehow we kept them out. Deflected, off the line, off-side etc. Then in the 81st Min we had a rare break. Iffy thundered a shot against the bar and it fell to Butler who tapped it in. 1-0 final score and me and the lad walked home ecstatic! He went to school next day and his History teacher (a Posh STH) clipped him round the ear for 'being cheeky' because he asked how Posh got on! :D
Poshgill

Postby Snackboyslim » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Have to agree with Posh re Coventry.. Top buzz as Neil Smith drove the ball into an unguarded net. I believe it was Gordon Stachans 1st game in charge?? Think so.

Favourite away match, although not a win was against Brentford away FA Cup 1st round, early 90's. They were top of what is now the 1st div.. we were struggling in the Div below. 3-1 down at half time 2 late goals 3-3. Was one of Sky Sports 1st live matches.
Snackboyslim

Postby Noircat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Ok here's what I think will happen.

Gills 2 Plymouth Nil

Exeter 2 Gills 2

Morecambe 1 Gills Nil

NC
Noircat

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm

GILLINGHAM 4 v Plymouth 1, hell Plymth can't score and also ship a bunch, if we can not beat them by two or three then this is not the team to be building next years hopes and prayers on.
Exeter 1 v GILLINGHAM 1, Hot and cold Exeter,they have just about played everyone in the top 5 or 6 in the last few games, lucky for the Gills they are as bad as us at home.
Morcme 1 v GILLINGHAM 2, mid table team going no where fast, they will have lost intrest by the time we play them.
Rochdale 1 v GILLINGHAM 1, don't know why but have a nasty feeling about this game, end of a lot of traveling around the country, I know the team are not walking , but still ?
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 am

Once again Exeter play a blinder, loosing to Bristol, (Ward may have been round the block but he is doing a good job with Rovers) so I think Gillingham can beat the "Greek urns" 2-1 no problem .
gillsfan1066

Previous

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION