Martin Allen and Scally...

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Martin Allen and Scally...

Postby Snackboyslim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm

In my humble opinion, have done a fantastic job this season. If someone had said at the start of this season, that we would be in the position we are now, I would have bitten their hand off in dis-belief.

I found myself the other week on this board, moaning and groaning about the Wycombe performance, then I took stock.

No team is consistant below us, just look at the table and recent results of say, the top 8. In fact, maybe with the exception of Vale, we've been the most consistant team in the top half of Div2.

Let's face facts, Vale's last 2 away matches have been (what were) against bottom 3 sides... They 'gained' 2 points. It's their home form that has turned around, yet there's only 1 point between us.

I can only speak for myself here, but I get the impression that I and, prehaps, many other fans have been hitting the panic button without any reason.

This is due to our un-precidented record breaking start to the season. We maybe felt like we were unbeatable, the title was ours from November... Positions of grandeaur if you like.

But here we are, not playing our best football (we all know that), in what is a fantastic postion. I just know we're going up this season, automatically.

From my pesronal point of view, because of our wonderful start, I fully expected us to win the title. That clouded my vision somewhat, so when results didn't go as planned, in my mind...... doom and gloom, that's it, another dissapointment.

The actual real life facts are we're massive favourites to go up, along only with Port Vale at the moment... winnining the title is a massive bonus and I soooo hope we do, but promotion is just fantastic also.

MA and Scally, I believe for now, are a partnaship that's working very well and bringing huge smiles to us long suffering fans... That's not bull**** it's a fact as I write this now.

Manager of the month, 10 points out of 15, two new eager premiership signings, 9 points clear of 4th place and a chacing pack that's far more inconsistant than us.

Happy days in my eyes. :-)
Snackboyslim

Re: Martin Allen and Scally...

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Well I guess there was one person who knew the Gills were going to be this good, let me see if I can find that Nore tiddles the cat thing game on here , Premier Division and the leader is, aagghh yessssssss sir eeee bob, thats rite, it's, lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Snackboyslim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Quite right Gillsfan.

However, A higher noircat division you maybe mate, but let's just look at the total points gained for us both this season...

Ahh yes, that's right.....

It appears I've been far more optomistic than you dear fella!! And unless i'm very much mistaken, we have all been predicting the same fixtures have we not???

Who cares.. we're going up bud!!

;-)
Snackboyslim

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 pm

It was always going to tail off, most likely because sides would "up their game" against the top sides just like we have done but also as they figure out how to stop us. The performances have been poor and it feels like we have started losing all of a sudden when in fact, we are top of the league and winning manager of the month. What a wonderfully bizarre position to be in!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm

I have come to the same conclusion as my good friend snackboyslim.

Yes it has not been pretty to watch lately. However we would we swap our current position to be playing fluid football but in 8th position??

Arsenal fans have said for years they prefer quality over prizes, but that seems to be wearing thin now.

If anybody had offered any of us our current position, points total at the start of the season we would have bitten their hands off. Yes we are going through a thick muddy patch but how ironic that what we consider to be a thick muddy patch is actually worthy of the league to hand Allen manager of the month.

C'mon you gill's. Promotion is the key. I think if we score early goals we are going to see a lot more defensive play to see the game out and keep the points.

Lets also not forget it wasnt great great fun when Pulis took us up, I do not hold the actual stats but we only scored about 49 goals in 46 games so we were hardly thrilling back then.
Robpthegills

Postby Robpthegills » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Not only but

last year 70 points after 46 games........this season 62 after 33 games

the year before 68 points after 46 games

So whatever is wrong, a lot more is right
Robpthegills

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION