ok..

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

ok..

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 pm

I know I don't get to many matches, so it's hard to judge or compare, but that performance was dire to say the least.
Matt Fish was just awful.In fact, the whole deffence and team was awful. Is it the Sky cameras?? we never seem to win when live.

All of our 'attacks' if you can call them that, were from long throws or corners. When I saw us against Burton we were a fantastic footballing side. Hopefull long ball punting, we never looked likely to score tonight.

Wycombe should have won by many more. We seemed to have no deffence what so ever when they were on the counter attack.

I'd like to hear from some of you guys that can make regular matches, and wonder what your thoughts are on tonight as quite frankly, i'm totally dismayed by that 'performance'.

Finally, Martin Allen said we played well in the first half....

Did we???

Did we b********

Sorry for whinge.. Jez.
Snackboyslim

Re: ok..

Postby Garawa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 pm

I actually thought it was a good game and we played quite well, moving the ball around nicely. We never really created a clear chance and as the game wore on they only ever looked like the ones who would score. Our chances were all from long balls partly I feel because the midfield has gone - he has lost it! Payne, Jackman gone, Frampton now being used when we are losing and he has twice taken him off before the second half - but I bet he starts again on Saturday! Gregory is awful. He just allowed the Wycombe player to take the ball off him for the winner. We started off with an abundance of midfielders, now we seem to have a few that aren't as good.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Jesus Gary,
You thought it was a good game and we moved the ball around quite well??

I thought Wycombe battered us mate, at which point of the match did you think we moved the ball around well fella??

I'm just so grateful we have such a good away record (for now), cos that was a sh!te performance in my opinion. I know you go to most games gary, but if that is your summary on our performance based on other games at home, then we have no chance mate.
Snackboyslim

Postby lidbid46 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 am

Agree with much of what you say, but you are wrong about Matt Fish. He and Nelson were the only players who really came out with any credit, and he has been fantastic all season - my Man of the Season so far by a mile. And this is the same player that I thought was dire for most of last season! And Gary is right - i can't understand why MA has allowed such a good midfield to be weakened to such an extent that Frampton is playing there. And if he thinks Frampton is the answer, then why does he keep subbing him so early? All the subs being made so early also means that nothing can be changed, or if someone is injured then we have to play with ten men. I don't remember too many games at any level where a manager has made all his subs when no one is injured by 66 minutes as tonight. Perhaps MA is trying too hard? I'm loath to complain too much, as I would have bitten your hand off if you had offered me this position now before the start of the season, but I can see the season just falling apart if we carry on playing like this at home.
lidbid46

Postby Poshgill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 am

A very disappointing night. We had a great chance to show the world how good we are and real title contenders, instead, we fluffed our lines badly. And as for that fat kid, well, we are now compared to Leeds (although I was pleased to see our fans boo him instead of applauding him, as Leeds did!)

Anyway, I thought the first half we played very well. We completely bossed the game. 10 shots to their one long distance shot. (albeit a great effort and world class save from Nelson) Frampton was playing well and I thought we had great shape. With the diamond shape, Frampton was protecting the midfield and also allowing the defence to play the ball out. I was confident that the second half we would nick a goal and then be really comfortable. I was therefore amazed when MA subbed Frampton and changed the formation. Without Frampton protecting the midfield, Gregory showed what a liability he is. If he is a direct replacement for Payne, then we have a very poor deal there.

We started to get swamped in the middle of the park with no outlet. Burton should have gone at HT. Great poacher that he is, we needed Kedwell on sooner to track back and work hard. I was also confused when Weston went off. He was the only one pushing on and creating things.

A very soft goal to concede too. Gregory (who else?) lost the ball in the midfield and even though that McClure had already given us a warning not a minute earlier, we let him get away.

There did seem to be a lack of leadership on the field last night. Barratt, who has been decent all season (Port Vale at home apart) was very quiet. I don't think the crowd helped though. Very quiet. You'd have thought we were relegation candidates instead of potential champions!

Home form is now something of a concern. Perhaps the nervousness of the crowd transmits to the players?
Poshgill

Postby Garawa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Yes Snackboy I think we played quite well! Even my missus text at half time joking shots 1000, goals 0. We moved the ball about, switched from left to right (along with Weston) that help negate some of the 3 players he had with him all game! We created a lot of play that on another would have led to numerous chances but last night we really failed to create any major ones at all. It wasn't until about 55-60 minutes that Wycombe really started to come out and when they started to boss the game there was only ever going to be one winner. Most around me felt the same.

As for formation Posh I don't really think it altered that much. It was more a flat bank of 3 with Frampton in the middle that sat in front of Gregory as holding midfielder. He refuses to budge from this shape at all and even when Frampton went off to be replaced by Robinson it was a straight swop although he naturally had more speed so was able to push up. I wouldn't be so critical if Frammo is being used in front of the defence but he isn't. As for using in left midfield well that is beyond bizzarre - stick him goal why don't you! All subs last night were effectively straight swops, 4-1-3-2 must be protected at all costs even though it has only managed 6 wins from 16. We started the season with a straight 4-4-2 (and later 4-2-2-2) and that earned us 12 wins from 16.

If we really do have to go with 4-1-3-2 then I would go:

Nelson
Fish Legge Barratt Martin
Davies
Whelpdale Lee Weston
Kedwell McDonald

(PS - I thought Fish was pretty decent, the most improved player at the club this season and well worthy of his place).
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Can't agree entirely Tom - thought we were very average from the beginning as were Wycombe. Thing is as we got worse Wycombe got better.

Can't see how it should be so difficult for a professional footballer to be able to pass the ball to a team mate; I saw a number of occasions last night where players were "trapping" the ball further than I could ever pass it.

Last night it was like watching a Ronnie Jepson team !!!!!
CadburyMan

Postby Snackboyslim » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

There was cetainly one shining light last night and that was Nelson. Very unlucky to be on the losing team with some great saves, and as Mr Posh has pointed out, a real worldy save in the first half, that ball swerved viciously. Brilliant.

As you no doubt noticed, I was ever-so slightly, how shall I put it.. 'narked off' last night as we all were and have now taken stock some what. We just didn't seem to have any width or wing play, no one seemed to be overlapping when the oppotunity arrised. Wycome weren't that great last night, we made them look that way and apart from the last 4 minutes, for me, never looked likely to score. Why wait till then?? Would we have been happy with a draw?? All of a sudden we had urgency and if the game had gone on another 10 mins, a point at least I feel.

Going back to my earlier point re Nelsons 1st half save, I wish it had gone in.

Currently watching Orient v Southend and if we had come up against any of them last night, we really would have been humiliated and cut to shreads.

Still, 2nd place, very very decent and deep down i'm very happy and we have a a nice cushion of points. Maintain our away form and we're up.

If so, let's stay there a while and then push on.
Snackboyslim

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION