Tonight

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Tonight

Postby Rimshot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Discreditable all round tonight. We could have lost by 3 or 4, definitely should have conceded a penalty. I honestly don't believe we will make automatic promotion. Martin was truly awful and nothing from midfield. I'm a fan of Cody but he should have been subbed not Weston.
Our home form is now more than a blip and the fan who attacked the keeper should be banned for life. What a dreadful night!
Rimshot

Re: Tonight

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Shocking night.

embarrassed, disgusted and bored.

We were woeful from kick off to full time.

Frampton in midfield yet again....what a joke yet again. Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish

We wont go up as champions we wont go up automatically unless he takes advice and turns us around, we were rubbish
Robpthegills

Postby steve347 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Lee, Whelpdale, Weston are OK
Gregory & Frampton not good enough. We need to get League 1 players in place.
Payne should not have gone unless we had a good replacement.

Midfield was dire tonight
steve347

Postby Garawa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 pm

I didn't think it was that bad but we have lost the midfield and it is killing us. Ignore Frampton, why a slow centre half is being asked to play there I don't know. At least Barratt is quicker. Needs to go back to basics, a midfeld with width using Weston and Whelpdale and use 4-4-2 instead of 4-1-3-2 as we win more games using the former. Chop Gregory, he has been woeful and play Lee and Allen. Our only other reputable midfielder is Robinson and he isn't rated very highly by the Huddersfeild fans. Seriously worried now.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 pm

All I heard was the commentators talking about the woeful atmosphere even early in the first half. The team looked unbalanced with Burton and Cody up front and the midfield lacked ideas. The defence looked good for 80 minutes and the keeper was outstanding. Allen seems to change things for changes sake rather than to improve performance.
Elgrande

Postby lidbid46 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:17 am

So disappointed with everything tonight. I do not understand how the team that couldn't lose until October has turned into a nervous, disorganised 11 which struggles in every home game. The players who have left were almost universally better than those who have replaced them. Honestly, is Danny Jackman a worse player than Gregory? How come Montrose played regularly when we were winning and was then just dumped? Did we have to get rid of Jack Payne - how we were crying out for him tonight! How did we manage to allow Wright to slip through our fingers when it seemed that thedeal was virtually complete? Where is Dack? What has Callum Davis done wrong and why was Essam allowed to leave so easily? The midfield look OK when going forward, but I was screaming at them to stop losing the ball as Gregory did for the goal, 60 seconds after the ball had been lost before when Wycombe should have scored. Kedwell seems to have lost any of the zip that he had last season, Burton was anonomous today; Weston looked as if was just beginning to cause problems when he was taken off and our tactics were so transparent - win a throw on so that it could be hurled into the area to be headed away! As for the muppet at the end - how did that make us look on TV? What an idiot. And how long did it take the stewards to react? All in all, not a night to remember. I really hope things improve as I am not enjoying the matches at the moment. Yes I know we are still in a fantastic position, but for how long?
On the plus side, congrats to Kezz - enjoyed hearing your name twice tonight - highlight of the evening!!
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I think I do know where it has gone wrong - the midfield. Think back. We had Wright that shored up the defence, Payne commanding the midfield, we have scored more goals with Allen playing then almost any other player, Lee, great width with Whelpdale and Weston plus Jackman and Dack as back up. We now have 6 midfielders and 2 aren't much cop!

Why did the midfield look inept? Gregory is awful, I haven't heard a good word from any Gills fan. Frampton, very slow so as a midfielder is always going to create holes for the opposition to win possession back. Good width on one side but Lee on the other didn't balance. Doesn't take much working out why the midfield looked so poor! I fear it is time to have "lesser quality" players in the right spots instead of trying to create new players out of old. If anything, Callum Davies made a fairly decent holding midfielder at the start before Wright came in. Payne and to a lesser extent Jackman are a big miss. Maybe Robinson will fill the void, only time will tell. Martin Allen has tinkered to the brink of destruction and now I honestly don't think he knows what is best. What is obvious is that Gregory must improve immensely and Frampton can never be a left or centre midfielder - possibly the 2 most important places in the outfield team.

Garawa

Postby mark8364 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I know loads of fans dont like Frampton in that midfield role, but Wycombe didnt start to open us up until after the change at half time!
mark8364

Postby Garawa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't think the two are linked though Mark. Personally I think they really started to dominate on the hour mark when Weston was replaced. Not having to put 3 men on him all the time allowed them to play more. I have nothing against Frampton but who would you prefer charging up the left flank, Frammo or Weston? That's what he was asked to do against York! I think we were faster and more nippy in the first half and Wycombe exploited the game as we tired.

Garawa

Postby mark8364 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Neither Frampton or Weston on the wing..Weston should be up top along side Kedwell
mark8364

Next

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION