Early promise?

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Early promise?

Postby Garawa » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 pm

I can't quite put my finger on it but something has changed regarding what the players are doing. We have gone from free-scoring to struggling. At first I thought the opposition were starting to figure us out but on delving deeper I notice that Weston and Burton managed just one shot ON target between them against Barnet. OK this happens but it looks stupid when I discovered that Martin and Fish got 4 between them in the same game!!!! No wonder we are starting to struggle if the defenders are getting the chances!

I think we rely on Kedwell far more than people realise. We have won 15 of the 24 games he has played and have only managed a draw (the rest defeats) from the 4 games he has missed! It is not just his goals or assists but the holding play that allows Allen, Weston and Whelpdale to create the play that eventually leads to a Gills goal and them being credited with assists.

I also this some of the midfield has lost some of it's early promise. Vincelot seemed very lively when he first came but hasn't had the same impact since. David Wright would be an important acquisition in January as we concede 0.4 goals per game with him and 1.2 per game when we don't play a holding midfielder at all.

Thoughts?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Early promise?

Postby Elgrande » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:38 pm

There doesn't seem to be a plan B; changes personel but not the way we play. I think Mr Allen has a problem with Kedwell which seems strange to me as i agree that he makes the difference. I like all the positivity from the gaffer, but he needs to start being a bit more honest about performances and not just relying on; we will bring more players in!
Elgrande

Postby mark8364 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Agree with Kedwell. The lad does so much work for the team. He really should start every game. A fact that appeared at the end of November was that Kedwell had also made over 30 clearing headers from opposition set pieces..Kedwell is so valuable to the team. Cant understand why he gets left out?
mark8364

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 pm

One look at the stats shows why Kedwell should be starting. Obviously the manager knows better than me which players to put on the pitch , but I can not understand why this guy does not play 92 1/2 minutes of every game. Only thing he seems NOT to do is play in goal . If we loose Kedwell in the upcoming transfer window I think we will regret it befor the end of the season . Just my thunks
gillsfan1066

Postby Noircat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:20 pm

we AREN'T TOP OF THE LEAGUE,WE AREN'T TOP OF THE LEAGUE......................
and why..........? because Portvale in despatching Rotherham and DR are showing the way to say to the rest of the league-Beat us if you can. That is exactly how we were being perceived 8 or so games back but that showing on Boxing Day has left us exposed to what has occurred today.
I was treally disappointed with the postponement as we could have put things right..maybe. Was it premature? I had little rain yesterday in Hunton and this morning was really nice before rain came again. Seemed a very early bath from where I was standing and I hope it wasnt driven by saving Northampton travelling-it's not very far.
I am fearful for Tuesday although encouraged a little by todays result at Burton. But we are catching Southend in unforgiving mood and I just hope our proud away record stands up.Otherewise I see a 3.1 tonking.
With Tomlin no doubt amongst the goals as always happens.
I hope to return to more positive thinking very soon............Noircat Leagues tommorow.
All the best everyone
NC
Noircat

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 pm

I would love to see us come away with a 3-1 win at Sarfend Two fairly winnable games in hand over the 4th place team and one game in hand over PV means we are still in the drivers seat, and hopefully the team will have run off it's Turkey and stuffing "over load" by Tuesday.
gillsfan1066

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION