Disappointed

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Disappointed

Postby Poshgill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 am

Of course we were all happy when we were 7 points clear and I hope its that way at the end of the season. However, it is a marathon not a sprint. If this is our mid-season wobble (all teams have them) then I am more than happy as we are still picking up points. If, however, it is a dip in form, then we have a right to be concerned. I still think that an away draw is a creditable result, regardless of who we are playing. Having seen so many away defeats and depressing performances in the past, it is refreshing to see us turning up expecting a result and not just hoping fpor one! 1 defeat on the road this season tells me that we are are a changed team. OK, we have not won in 5, but we have only lost one of those games. Lets put things into perspective chaps. As long as we have enough points to avoid relegation is our 1st objective. 2nd is to get into the play-offs, 3rd is to get automatic promotion and 4th is to win the title. We are looking good on all these objectives!
Poshgill

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:15 pm

In all the years I have watched football I can only remember about 6 maybe 7 occassions when a team has raced away at the start of the season to finnish it that way having continued the form throughout the whole season.

Swindon did it in div 2 a few years back newcastle did it in the championship but not many clubs do it.

Every other year we have been chuffed we are within 3 to 5 points of the play off teams at this time.

This year we are 9 points clear of the play off places..........but clear at the top of them not below them.....and ELEVEN points clear of the non play off places.

We were never going to continue this run. I personally think MA has made a couple of selection mistakes the last couple of games, but he is learning still especially with a team at the top.

The fans I have spoken to who went to the game said we played really well. It is always harder being at the top as people are always going to try harder to knock you down.

We will be fine, even if we lose the next away game I am confident that over xmas we will put the worries to bed.

Lets not panic at the very very first hurdle.
Robpthegills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

As the jockey said to the horse as they fell into Beeches Brook,lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 am

lol hedge what hedge
Robpthegills

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

A point at Accrington is a good result,our last two trips we have been well beat and outplayed.The fact we went down to 10 men and got a point makes the result better.Our form is not as good as it was at the start,but that form was not realistic and very rarely can you keep that form up all season.We will get out of the mini slump and finish top three in my opinion.Even in this run we are still picking up points and if you do that when your not winning thats a good sign.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

I agree. Last season our little slump saw us suffer 6 defeats in a row. We are hardly losing at all let alone in a row and still winning points, that's is what champions do. Teams will figure us out and always want to stop the top side so will get harder. Port Vale will have a little stumble as well so if we can stay there or thereabouts we could be well out of sight by the time they kick on again.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:26 am

Ok so every thing is just hunky dory and at the end of the day I should be investing in a couple of season tickets for next year and a couple of bi weekly airline tickets for the games in Division One?. Sorry can not make the away games.............. to expensive .
gillsfan1066

Postby Robpthegills » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 pm

lol

lack of effort 1066 fancy not trying for the away games.

I am not saying its hunky dory mate, just saying its far from bad.

Chances are we will get tonked up at preston and will struggle at rotherham but I still wont panic, we then have the fixtures to start another good run.
Robpthegills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm not panicking Mr Mainwaring, just think it would be nice to beat the living snot out of half a** teams like Accrington Stanley. I do not expect us to stay top for the entire season I am a bit more realistic than that, and the 6 point lead we have over the fourth place team is a nice cushion.
I think between now and the first week in January we should be good for some points, York, Barnet, Nthmpton and Bristol should all be good for Gills wins and Rotherham, Fleetwood and Southend could easily produce a point here and there. Now if this scenario does not play out to the way wot I have drawn it up to do, then I will start to get a bit nervous.
gillsfan1066

Previous

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION